Here is where it all started... How about you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lindsay34654

Like most. I started with my grandmothers Grundig short wave radio in the late 50's that also had a police band. From there I went to the small black RS box for $9.95 that you plug into an am radio that you also had to plug in a crystal for the area you wanted to monitor then dial in the radio in the middle 60's when I also got into CB like everyone else. I think I must have had every regency model they made and several portables (crystal control). I also had a model that you had punch out cards that you had to slide into the radio. I now am into Ham and have a uniden 396 xt 996 xt and HP1

kennyblues

Probably around 1969 with a Realistic Patrolman portable low band receiver to receive the local Police and Fire. Like NYRHKY94 with paper route money.
The advertisement from the 1968 Radio Shack Catalog says;
"Only an informed public can think clearly, can react safely and in time"
My oh my have times changed

57Bill

I started listening to "hams" in the late '50's on an old 3-band shortwave receiver (one band being regular long wave AM). Did a little AM DXing back then, too. During the race riots of the late 60's, I borrowed a tunable Lafayette communications receiver from a friend to monitor the action. Got my own tunable 4-band portable that Christmas. Purchased my first real scanner - a 10 channel cyrstal controlled set by Hy-Gain (still have it) in 1975. Then a steady progression of Regency, Radio Shack, Bearcat, and AOR, etc. I did find it all more enjoyable in the old days.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Got hooked on radio back when I was around 10 or so atField Day at a park near where I grew up, passed my Basic late July/Early August 1993 and have never looked back. I did not start monitoring First responders untill after I get my first radio, ann IC-2SAT, then I was able to listen to RCMP(139MHz), BCAS(142MHz &149MHz) and local fire(155Mhz). It is way more complicated now a days.

Status
Not open for further replies.