SDS100/SDS200: Here We Go Again: Another SDS100 repair

tones54

Premium Subscriber
Well, a few months over a year later, my SDS100 needs to go back in to Uniden for a cold solder repair...again. My frustration with this product is nearly endless. I have owned a number of Uniden products over the years and never had issues with any of them other than them becoming obsolete. I drop $700+ for an SDS100 and I have had to have it fixed twice in two years. That doesn't sit well with me. At all.
I would love to find an alternative that does not seem to have the performance issues this one does. Too bad. I used to love Uniden.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Please take this the right way, especially the friends that I have out there. Maybe it was never addressed. If it was?...

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yes yes yes, serial numbers Etc. More information about the radio and what can be done about it.

Nasby

It’s the only handheld scanner pretty much guaranteed to work on a simulcast system(s).
That being said, if a persons current scanner is working on a given system I certainly wouldn’t “upgrade” to an SDS100 simply because of the many QC issues.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I would prefer to see some real true results of Corrections on the assembly line of all issues addressed as being resolved . I don't think that's unreasonable .

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Well, a few months over a year later, my SDS100 needs to go back in to Uniden for a cold solder repair...again. My frustration with this product is nearly endless. I have owned a number of Uniden products over the years and never had issues with any of them other than them becoming obsolete. I drop $700+ for an SDS100 and I have had to have it fixed twice in two years. That doesn't sit well with me. At all.
I would love to find an alternative that does not seem to have the performance issues this one does. Too bad. I used to love Uniden.
Plain and simple, the only alternative is the sds200.

Also, IF the trouble is the CSJ issue and it was fixed, it's then next to impossible for the CSJ issue to return. Once the solder is reflowed into a solid solder joint, they don't inflow. Other things can happen, iffy ribbon cable connections, broken circuit boards, etc. I have no idea how you use or handle your sds100 so can't guess what may have changed with it.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I would prefer to see some real true results of Corrections on the assembly line of all issues addressed as being resolved . I don't think that's unreasonable .
And, if you got that "real time result" what then?

You going to sue them for results not meeting your standards?

From the information @JoeBearcat has been given and he has shared, the known production issues have been fixed. To be honest, I can't imagine any electronics company saying something like units before serial XYZ may have production issues. They'd be cutting their own throat.

Just sayin'

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I can't imagine any electronics company saying something like units before serial XYZ may have production issues. They'd be cutting their own throat.

Just sayin'

Last edited by a moderator:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
And, if you got that "real time result" what then?

You going to sue them for results not meeting your standards?

From the information @JoeBearcat has been given and he has shared, the known production issues have been fixed. To be honest, I can't imagine any electronics company saying something like units before serial XYZ may have production issues. They'd be cutting their own throat.

Just sayin'
Don't be ridiculous, Uniden has never, ever giving out serial numbers of radios that have been modified, updated or improved.. ever. What are you nuts?

When did I ever say that I would sue them, what do I give a s**t, I'll never buy another Uniden, there will be no more Uniden radios.

You are always combative with me, try to understand, don't bother, I really don't care.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Tell you what, you believe in the representative of Uniden. The product manager, replacing Paul. You will certainly be in good hands there and given the best possible support from from Uniden.

Just understand, nobody's kidding anybody.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
To be honest, I can't imagine any electronics company saying something like units before serial XYZ may have production issues. They'd be cutting their own throat.
Uniden has indeed released serial numbers of units having production issues... This was during the 536HP headphone noise issue:

No units have been fixed, so any that have shipped to date potentially have the issue.

From what we can find, it appears that if your S/N ends in 0100 - 2600 it is affected.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Uniden has indeed released serial numbers of units having production issues... This was during the 536HP headphone noise issue:
I was specifically responding to the SDS 100, title of this thread. Tell me the serial numbers where the csj problem is resolved.. I'll be waiting for that answer. It's only natural as I would not want to buy a radio new or used, with a serial number before that one.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The issues with the SDS100 are discussed so often and in so many threads here on RR that I have to wonder why people still buy them. It's like a $700+ crap shoot! What's even more surprising is that they're surprised when they have problems after they buy them. Why don't they return them immediately for a replacement or a full refund? But instead they continue to keep and use a defective scanner, wait until the warranty is up, and then want Uniden to replace it.