SDS100/SDS200: Here We Go Again: Another SDS100 repair

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I have the SDS-200 & BCD536, as well as the 996P2. Decide what you are wanting to listen to, and then research Radio Reference to see what systems are out there. Don't overspend on a scanner that is more than you need. Also, be aware that many larger agencies are going to full or partial enryption. To my knowledge, there is no commercial/consumer scanner available that will receive encrypted transmissions.

Research some of the posts on this website...there is a monumental amount of collective knowlege free for the asking on this site. A while back (as an example), I had a knowledgable user on this site get on the phone with me and patiently walked me though some issues. That's just an example of those that are more than willing to assist.

But before reaching out and asking questions, know what geograhic area you're interested in, as well as what you're wanting to listen to. That helps potential mentors to know how to respond to your inquities

I had more issues with the x36HP scanners than with the SDS. I had a very minor hum in the SDS200 speaker that was fixed with a combination of that little piece of copper and being able to turn off the audio amp almost immediately after audio ends.

My only real complaint with the SDS200 in my truck is that the maximum screen brightness isn't bright enough. OTOH, my eyes aren't what they used to be either AND the angle the scanner is installed at seems perfect for reflecting sunlight!

I think a large part of what is at work is the tendency of people to be a lot quicker to complain than compliment.

All of that being said, I think in general Uniden's response since Paul's death has been sub optimal. Joe Bearcat can only do so much, the but reasons he can only do so much tell me a lot about Uniden's lack of commitment to the most vociferous part of it's customer base.

IF they want to refute that belief "one post Kip" should come back here and lay out some specifics. Has the CSJ issue been successfully resolved? Will there be more firmware updates for the x36HP and SDS scanners? And everything else on the list that Joe Bearcat solicited well over a year ago.

The fact that we have not had any significant, impactful firmware updates since April 2019, speaks volumes, that's your definitive answer from Uniden top management.

The virus excuse has officially expired long enough to have put out some significant firmware updates by now.

Speaks for itself.

It would be good also if any members who purchased a recent radio discover that there is a hum on a 200 or a recent 100 develops csj, they should definitely post it.

Bob1955

I had more issues with the x36HP scanners than with the SDS. I had a very minor hum in the SDS200 speaker that was fixed with a combination of that little piece of copper and being able to turn off the audio amp almost immediately after audio ends.

My only real complaint with the SDS200 in my truck is that the maximum screen brightness isn't bright enough. OTOH, my eyes aren't what they used to be either AND the angle the scanner is installed at seems perfect for reflecting sunlight!

I think a large part of what is at work is the tendency of people to be a lot quicker to complain than compliment.

All of that being said, I think in general Uniden's response since Paul's death has been sub optimal. Joe Bearcat can only do so much, the but reasons he can only do so much tell me a lot about Uniden's lack of commitment to the most vociferous part of it's customer base.

IF they want to refute that belief "one post Kip" should come back here and lay out some specifics. Has the CSJ issue been successfully resolved? Will there be more firmware updates for the x36HP and SDS scanners? And everything else on the list that Joe Bearcat solicited well over a year ago.
garys-If I myself had to use a little piece of "copper" and OPEN up a $699.95 SCANNER, THAT would be Uniden America Corporations coffin!

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
There were hints from a Uniden source around these parts a while back of a scanner follow-up to the SDS100/200.

Unless I've missed something, so far crickets...

I believe you mean rumors. Believe them at your own risk. There will probably be several more models before the SDS series is replaced. There are two that have been waiting more than 18 months for the supply chain to be able to supply enough parts to make them. The testing is done and everything. But I'm sure some will blame me for the parts supply chain issues.

palmerjrusa

I believe you mean rumors. Believe them at your own risk. There will probably be several more models before the SDS series is replaced. There are two that have been waiting more than 18 months for the supply chain to be able to supply enough parts to make them. The testing is done and everything. But I'm sure some will blame me for the parts supply chain issues.

Hey, many thanks for the update!!

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Sorry Joe, but somebody has to say it. Sorry.

I really do not believe you are. There have been several people on my case from literally DAY ONE.

I hope you will prove me wrong and become part of the solution rather than part of the problem.

I am not in charge of quality control. Paul may have been (I do not know for certain). But I get blamed for designs that were set in stone when Paul was still with us. Someone is at least partially correct - I can only recommend things to management. I cannot force anything.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
become part of the solution rather than part of the problem.
And how exactly would we do that, Joe? By posting detailed bug reports in a thread from two and a half years ago that has gone nowhere so far? The majority of the firmware updates since Jan 2021 have been to address hardware changes due to chip shortages, along with a sprinkling of minor bug fixes that probably don't affect most users.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I am quite the opposite. When you first came on board I suggested that we wait and see what you could do with the list that was developed. IIRC, you said that the first priority was fixing hardware issues, the second was fixing software bugs, and the third was looking at adding new software features.

You've also said from day one that you were not Paul, which was completely open and honest, which I appreciate.

Under the old management, your role was very limited. There is new ownership and the new President posted at the time of CES that Uniden was not abandoning the scanner market. You mentioned two new scanners that will be coming to market soon, that's encouraging as well.

Which leaves us with some a couple of hardware issues and perhaps more importantly, the unfulfilled potential of the SDS scanners. First on MY list would be updating the DMR trunking software so that the scanners can properly track Cap Max and similar formats.

You are, for scanner users at least, the public face of Uniden. Which is why you get so much criticism. I don't know if you can pass that along to the C Suite people without being fired, but if you can you need to.

I'll also note that Paul got tons of harsh criticism for some of the things that happened with the x36HP and SDS scanners. Probably other models as well. Every time there was a problem with the x36HP scanners and he didn't have an answer within a few days there was a chorus of "Uniden has abandoned scanners" and other BS. Each time he took the heat and worked to get the issue solved. The RTC battery and display recalls must have taken every ounce of sway he had with his bosses to get going.

Again, you're not him, but you also haven't had nearly as much or as harsh criticism as did Paul.
I really do not believe you are. There have been several people on my case from literally DAY ONE.

I hope you will prove me wrong and become part of the solution rather than part of the problem.

I am not in charge of quality control. Paul may have been (I do not know for certain). But I get blamed for designs that were set in stone when Paul was still with us. Someone is at least partially correct - I can only recommend things to management. I cannot force anything.

bearcatrp

IF there are 2 models in the works, presuming desktop and handheld, please pass along to look at the Icom R30 battery that never swells up. That’s one of the reasons I haven’t upgraded to the SDS100. Would like to have a handheld from uniden.

Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber

Did you read post 71? And yes I am very sorry and no there's not just a few people on your case.

Did you see my statement that you can't affect quality control anymore than I can. You can only make recommendations and management can choose to ignore them.

And how am I going to be part of the solution? I don't know if you notice or not but I help people out with regard to Uniden scanners quite a bit with my extensive knowledge, especially SDS 100 and 200, I consider that part of the solution.

I'm not on radio reference like I used to be but I'm certainly on a lot more than you are and I will continue to try to help people become acclimated and get the best results they can from their SDS 100 and 200 by sharing the knowledge that I have.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
And how exactly would we do that, Joe?

Disclaimer: NONE of this should be taken as a criticism of GTR8000 specifically. I am answering his question and doing that requires mentioning some distasteful facts.

For starters, stop with the high school politics. I'm not saying you specifically did any of that, but some have and are.

A lot of threads are derailed by turning into flame fests (even mind ones). This stifles progress and creates animosity. But that seems to be the goal of some members.

Again, this is a general suggestion and not directed at you specifically even though I quoted your post. (I can't say that enough)

In general, yes hardware fixes were first and I believe are largely complete if not totally complete even though there may be units in the field with issues. There are also some new issues that are being researched in some threads that have not been tainted. Those issues are fairly rare and difficult to track down the cause.

The hum issue in-particular has received a lot of criticism because I can't give an exact ESN where the issue was fixed (a piece of info I do not have). There is nothing stopping the public from researching to confirm that no units produced or purchased since "date X" have had the issue. But some people would rather complain about the issue rather than confirm it no longer exists. Admitting it is solved is contrary to their agenda. I have not seen the issue mentioned in any recent units. This implies that the issue is fixed as I was told it was, but is only anecdotal evidence. That is all to which we have access.

Those are just two ways things can improve. Believe it or not, all the cow pucky (keeping it family-friendly) does affect the quality of progress.

I don't recall Paul getting the same level of flames, but as was mentioned he had a lot more input and clout than I do. While I would like to see that improve, the constant bashing is not helping on that front either. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy that some people are creating.

I firmly believe there are people who want to see Uniden (and me, specifically) fail, and will do anything they can to see that happen. That can be the only reason I was greeted with hate by some people. If the moderators can gain control over keeping politics out of a technical help forum, that too would help, but you have a contingent of moderators who are all to happy to encourage the high school antics let alone control it.

All this said, there is one person in-particular who has posted a lot of complaints, but they are backed up with hard evidence of shortcomings, and that is very helpful and appreciated. That is the type of feedback that is needed. I actually asked if they would help on a more direct level and they declined. But as long as they post useful information, that is fine.

In general, I try to avoid getting into the fecal storm, but since you asked (nicely, too) I believe an answer is deserved. I have no doubt some will use this post to further their agenda against Uniden, so I will qualify this as largely personal opinion which I rarely post. I try to keep on the high road. But I appreciate your question.

I would like to check threads more often than I do, but I know there will be more high school politics posted by the same half dozen people. What keeps me going is the fact that I know there are many more who appreciate my presence here and the honest desire to help. But it takes a lot to walk into a crap storm each week from the same vocal minority.

I know I can block them, but I have personal reasons why I find that cowardly too. After all, what if somehow they have a legitimate complaint? Still, perhaps it is time to use that feature. I sometimes wish I could block the more fraglant offenders from this forum to the rest of us get get things done without all the drama.

palmerjrusa

IF there are 2 models in the works, presuming desktop and handheld, please pass along to look at the Icom R30 battery that never swells up. That’s one of the reasons I haven’t upgraded to the SDS100. Would like to have a handheld from uniden.

I would just jump in and get an SDS100, I have an early unit that came with the small battery, got the free bigger battery and bought another one. All are in constant use (charged in the charger cradle usually) and have never had a problem.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative

I believe I can say that they (well, the portable) uses AA cells. It's not an SDS100 replacement.

And yes, a portable and a base/mobile. I don't think that is a secret either since that's the typical MO of Uniden releases.

Last edited:

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Did you read post 71? And yes I am very sorry and no there's not just a few people on your case.

Did you see my statement that you can't affect quality control anymore than I can. You can only make recommendations and management can choose to ignore them.

And how am I going to be part of the solution? I don't know if you notice or not but I help people out with regard to Uniden scanners quite a bit with my extensive knowledge, especially SDS 100 and 200, I consider that part of the solution.

I'm not on radio reference like I used to be but I'm certainly on a lot more than you are and I will continue to try to help people become acclimated and get the best results they can from their SDS 100 and 200 by sharing the knowledge that I have.

If I lumped you into the group in question without cause, I am truly sorry. And yes, there are only a handful who are on my donkey at any opportunity. Perhaps you are not one, and yes I know you have helped people. But, I believe you have had posts that are not contributing to the greater good. Regardless, I hope we can get moving forward. What do you think?

BTW, yes Uniden is under new management and we are seeing a lot of new faces. Perhaps things are improving (except for the supply chain issues which I believe are beyond anyone's control at Uniden).

bearcatrp

I would just jump in and get an SDS100, I have an early unit that came with the small battery, got the free bigger battery and bought another one. All are in constant use (charged in the charger cradle usually) and have never had a problem.
Read to many posts on the battery issue that I won’t take the chance. I’ll use my R30 which works great for now.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I hope we can get moving forward. What do you think?
All I can do is step in and help people with advice and instruction on the SDS 100 and 200 topics that I am very familiar with, when I'm not exactly sure, and I can't find the answer by researching, I keep my beak out.

I am a realist, I tend to be very reality based, progress and success is indicated by.. results.

I have a feeling that if the community starts to see real, impactful results, the tide will turn very quickly. You will become a hero, your reaction score will soar and all will be forgotten. If that helps.

By the way, Paul took a tremendous amount of criticism and abuse. I know, I did it myself sometimes.

When he was in that fairly long process of slowly dying everyday and not improving, I'm not sure if you know, he wrote a personal blog where he was very frank and candid about his rapidly metastasizing cancer and the brutal treatments he was simultaneously receiving. He was always light-hearted and downright funny in that blog, even close to the end.

I have to admit, I felt bad about my occasional criticism of him... after he left the office for good he was sorely missed.

You don't know what you have til it's gone.