Here's something weird with my Ohio MARCS system.

Jphila20

Retired LE. Honor our Fallen.
Premium Subscriber
I have a computer set up for Summit County 002-002 which is east of me using a Yagi antenna. For the past 10 days or so I have been receiving Post 20 traffic which is near Defiance Ohio which is west of me and about 120 miles away. Unitrunker shows that Post 20, TG 51520 is patched with Post 32, TG 51532 which is also west of me and about 90 miles away. I am only receiving Post 20 traffic even though it is patched with Post 32.

I understand if a radio is within my site area and set to a talk group from somewhere else in Ohio I will hear it. But that usually only happens for a day or two if someone is working a special project. I highly doubt that I’m pulling Post 20 in off the back of the Yagi.

Unitrunker seems to always surprise me with its reception abilities.

Thanks!

John

Attachments

• Post 20.jpg
    Post 20.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 26

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I have a computer set up for Summit County 002-002 which is east of me using a Yagi antenna. For the past 10 days or so I have been receiving Post 20 traffic which is near Defiance Ohio which is west of me and about 120 miles away. Unitrunker shows that Post 20, TG 51520 is patched with Post 32, TG 51532 which is also west of me and about 90 miles away. I am only receiving Post 20 traffic even though it is patched with Post 32.

I understand if a radio is within my site area and set to a talk group from somewhere else in Ohio I will hear it. But that usually only happens for a day or two if someone is working a special project. I highly doubt that I’m pulling Post 20 in off the back of the Yagi.

Unitrunker seems to always surprise me with its reception abilities.

Thanks!

John
You aren't "pulling Post 20 in off the back of the yagi". You are "pulling in Site 2.2" For whatever reason some radio is in vicinity of the simulcast that just happens to be affiliated with the P20 or P32 talkgroup. Odd perhaps, but not unfathomable. OSP can roam anywhere they want across the state. As long as you are sitting on site 2.2 and it's showing as site 2.2 you are not experiencing anything miraculous with far off reception. It's just some radio from P20/P32 area hanging out within the simulcast area.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I once heard MARCS-IP traffic from SW Ohio for about a week. I figured someone was in the Cleveland area for a conference, family visit, who knows.

rcid1971

Premium Subscriber
You aren't "pulling Post 20 in off the back of the yagi". You are "pulling in Site 2.2" For whatever reason some radio is in vicinity of the simulcast that just happens to be affiliated with the P20 or P32 talkgroup. Odd perhaps, but not unfathomable. OSP can roam anywhere they want across the state. As long as you are sitting on site 2.2 and it's showing as site 2.2 you are not experiencing anything miraculous with far off reception. It's just some radio from P20/P32 area hanging out within the simulcast area.

Post 20/Post 32 traffic is fairly routine on the Summit Simulcast.

A few years ago it was a commuter, recently it's been commercial inspectors.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Looking at the RID's I don't see them on any other talk group.

Who knows.

Thanks!

It could be a control station in the Post 20 or Post 32 area that has managed to affiliate to the Summit County site. Unfortunately all too many techs program control station radios no different than mobiles, and on top of that control station radios aren't always set up in the system to be limited to specific sites. Thus, they can affiliate to distant sites when conditions are right, and drag unwanted traffic to that site.

gtaman

It could be a control station in the Post 20 or Post 32 area that has managed to affiliate to the Summit County site. Unfortunately all too many techs program control station radios no different than mobiles, and on top of that control station radios aren't always set up in the system to be limited to specific sites. Thus, they can affiliate to distant sites when conditions are right, and drag unwanted traffic to that site.

That’s a big problem with Harris radios and the TOW.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Ive Seen VAN Wert pop up as well on Summit, wonder if its just a trooper traveling on businesd

amcferrin90

Premium Subscriber
Looking at the RID's I don't see them on any other talk group.

Who knows.

Thanks!
Check the affiliations. The radio doesn't have to be actively transmitting. My heads clogged but not real sure how you'd know if a radio was or wasn't transmitting on the site. It shows the TG active and source ID and that's whatever radio is transmitting on the TG regardless of what site it's connected to.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
the RID's are most likelly correct, it could be as simple as the trooper lives in summit or close, when he goes to work his radio affiliates on the summit site, you got to think of it like a cell system and closest towers

see attached for this talkgroup

Attachments

• 2024-01-22_14-29-09.jpg
    2024-01-22_14-29-09.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited: