Herkimer, NY - Herkimer Co. police agencies issued Project 25 radios

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveNF2G

"The sheriff said police agencies are now required to be equipped with these radios, which are compliant with federal guidelines."

And the BS continues...

w2csx

Premium Subscriber
I'll take a guess and give credit to Dave NF2G and say it might be they are going to use the OCICS system.

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
They bought Kenwood VHF's, look closely at the picture. Even when they turn on Madison Co, it wont work down the valley where the PDs are. UHFs for the southern FDs would make more sense as they are mutal aid to brookfield.

I look at this as a complete waste of grant money, especially only buying one for each department. At least they got a nice Photo op out of it!

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
The gigantic VHF helix antenna on the radio is usually a giveaway....

Thanks Bob, I figured the sale went through you guys.

c0untyb0y

Herkimer County is, at the moment, VHF. UHF radios would be no good to them there. Is this model of radio tri-band perhaps? Ya know, to be "compliant".

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
@ Countyboy--those radios are single band only...good thought though. :cool:. I am personally waiting for the DC to daylight radios to come out!

@w2csx Herkimer Co. was never "on" EDACS. Since 911 the county has always been VHF-High. What was on EDACS was the link to McCulley Mnt. which is why all you would hear was Town of Webb traffic. I think Frankfort PD may have had a Talkgroup at one point, but thats really about it.

::Technology can't make two people communicate::

D

DaveNF2G

Now that a few of the bigwigs have digital radios, there will be a big push to get all of Herkimer County to go digital. They will continue to push the tripe that the FCC requires digital radios under the narrowbanding mandate.

As soon as that starts to get built, they will be salivating over the (vaporware) LTE network on 700 MHz...

NoCoFire

I cannot speak to this specific grant and agree that you can get a $300 narrowband radio but if you want to play you have to play by their rules. When I apply for a FEMA dhs grant for comm equipment it has to comply with the current fiscal years SAFECOM requirements AND NYS SCIP. The NYS document does not specifically state that I must get p25 radios but the fed SAFECOM does. So if I want radios for .05 on the dollar or $50 for a $1000 radio I must play their game... Here's the kicker, it will never be used in a digital mode or at least not for the foreseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.