Hershey Park LTR System Active?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtscho

Database Admin
Does anyone know if the Hershey Park LTR system (http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=5640) is on the air? Has anyone heard the LTR data bursts, voice traffic, etc.?

I was thinking of taking a trip up there this weekend to map out the system and figure out some talkgroups, but will wait until later in the summer if they don't have it on the air yet or are still mostly testing.

Thanks,
Dave

Zack08

The last time I listened, they were still using the conventional repeater.

I just plugged in the LTR frequencies and get nothing so either it is a very low power system or, more likely, the system isn't done yet.

I live in Lebanon but can still hear the repeated stuff quite well, so I should be able to hear the LTR system when its on.

dtscho

Database Admin
Thanks for the response. I looked at the licenses for both the LTR system and a couple of the conventional repeaters. The LTR system frequencies will be putting out 50 watts ERP. The conventional licenses I looked at showed ERPs of 288 and 425 watts. Therefore, it appears at least some of the conventional frequencies are putting out much more power than the LTR system will. I wonder if maybe Lebanon might be too far from Hershey to hear the system...?

Thanks again,
Dave

Zack08

Thats a good question. It's possible that they are indeed in the testing phase of the new system, but all of the activity is on the main repeater. This may give me a reason to work on the UHF yagi that I was going to build.

On a side note, I'm glad that they are replacing the old equipment. Almost all of the current portables for security are HT90s and HT440s.

I'll let you know if I can recieve anything with a better antenna setup.

Twister_2

Feed Provider
I had the Hershey park frequencies programmed in, but I reprogramed my scanner. I don't remember if I put it back in...it doesn't have Alpha-numeric tagging...so I would have to look it back up. If it is trunked...I can't program that in because my scanner only allows trunked systems to be in the 800 Mhz range. I live in lower paxton, and I use to pick them up very well. When I have some time, I will look again and see if they are on the air.

scan-pa

RRDB Admin
Database Admin
Twister_2 said:
I had the Hershey park frequencies programmed in, but I reprogramed my scanner. I don't remember if I put it back in...it doesn't have Alpha-numeric tagging...so I would have to look it back up. If it is trunked...I can't program that in because my scanner only allows trunked systems to be in the 800 Mhz range. I live in lower paxton, and I use to pick them up very well. When I have some time, I will look again and see if they are on the air.

You need to update to a new Digital Scanner anyway, just for DauCo.

The new Digital Trunked p25 system is already undergoing testing.

as for the LTR Hershey Park system, no it is not on-line as of yet. But this should be the last year of Conventional usage. the LTR system is lower power due to more LTR rptr sites will be available covering the entire Park & Entertainment areas.

dtscho

Database Admin
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if Hershey Park is using the LTR system yet? I might consider a trip up there to map the system and identify some talkgroups if they're using it.

Thanks,
Dave

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if Hershey Park is using the LTR system yet? I might consider a trip up there to map the system and identify some talkgroups if they're using it.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave,

I was in the Hershey area on Saturday. I did not copy any activity from the LTR system. I did copy a lot of comms on the conventional UHF repeaters for Ops and Security.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Dave,

I was in the Hershey area on Saturday. I did not copy any activity from the LTR system. I did copy a lot of comms on the conventional UHF repeaters for Ops and Security.

We might go there sometime soon and I was searching for the same info as dtscho. Anyone have any idea what the control channel might be even if they are testing?

Mattsenft

Premium Subscriber
The system is not active yet. The various users of the system are still in the process of replacing their radios with Mtorola HT1250ls+ units. Some of the departments can still be seen using radios such as the HT90.

scan-pa

RRDB Admin
Database Admin
My oldest is at Hershey Park now, and told me she still sees everyone using the old radios that are beat to hell. When someone licenses freqs for a trunked system, they should be required to be operational on it in under 2 years or give up the license.

Zack08

It shouldnt take THAT long to set up such a small LTR system.

Scan-pa, you're a little closer than I am, can you hear any idle bursts on any of the channels? I cant...

Last edited:

Zack08

[IE messed up and I double posted. Shame on me. Please delete...]

Last edited:

Tommahawk

I live in Palmyra, just two miles from Hershey and can tell you that the Hershey LTR system is not online as of today.

Most active channels are Hershey Park OPS Channel 4 and the Security frequency on the conventional system............ Also listen up to 460.175 PL 192.8 (Derry Township Police), as they are very active in the area with speed details, etc......

hawks481

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

I also live in palmyra and i have picked up the giant center security the last 2 nights (451.9625). Im using a handheld scanner so it is possible to pick it up from palmyra. I didnt hear any traffic on the other channels though.

scan-pa

RRDB Admin
Database Admin
They have yet to finish the project. I have not been there lately or talked to the radio system mgr. so new info.

It;s sad when these big corps start a good planned out project and then stop in the middle of it. The new system would have done wonders for the park, with all the mismatched VHF Hi and UHF 450 radios in use now. Durring the summer, there is so much RF in use there its just bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.