Hex Codes vs. Decimal Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueline72

DO THE HEX CODES AND THE DECIMCAL CODES ALWAYS STAY THE SAME?? FOR EXAMPLE....IS THE HEX CODE/ DECIMAL CODE FOR A SYSTEM IN ONE CITY BE THE SAME AS ANOTHER??? ....OR ARE THE HEX CODES/ DECIMAL CODES SPECIFIC TO EACH SYSTEM?? IF CODE 7DO = 2000 ON CITY "A's" SYSTEM, WOULD CODE 7D0 = 2000 ON CITY "B's" SYSTEM???

MEANING, COULD I USE THE HEX CODE/DECIMAL CODES FROM ONE SYSTEM TO DECIPHER THE CODES FOR ANOTHER SYSTEM??? THANKS AGAIN, BRIAN

LarrySC

Hex to Dec is specific to each other. Motorola PGM's by hex but it is easier to understand Dec. So scanner ID's are DEC.

maultsby

Blueline, I think people are misunderstanding your question. Or maybe I am, so here's another answer, and we'll see if it's what you're looking for.

Hexidecimal values and always converted to decimal the same way. But for my scanner, when I convert from decimal to hex, I always have to drop the last zero.

ie - Decimal 32000 = Hex 7D0
Decimal 32016 = Hex 7D1

It doesn't matter what Motorola system you're listening to! From one system to another, talkgroup 32000 will always convert to 7D0. Talkgroup 32016 will always convert to 7D1.

Is that what you were asking?
Also, check your private messages. I sent you one a few weeks back, but never heard back.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
And to add to maultsby's reply, your computer comes with a scientific calculator that converts HEX/DEC numbers.

N

N_Jay

As was once said:

There are 10 types of people in the world;

Those that know binary,

and,

Those that do not.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

4phun

What scanner makes this error, Uniden?
Or is it your software?

You are incorrect in this statement.

maultsby said:
Hexidecimal values and always converted to decimal the same way. But for my scanner, when I convert from decimal to hex, I always have to drop the last zero.

ie - Decimal 32000 = Hex 7D0
Decimal 32016 = Hex 7D1

It doesn't matter what Motorola system you're listening to! From one system to another, talkgroup 32000 will always convert to 7D0. Talkgroup 32016 will always convert to 7D1.

You are absolutely incorrect regarding Decimal 32016 = Hex 7D1.
It is Decimal 32016 = Hex 7D10

If you program a PRO-96 with 7D1 you will get talkgroup 2001 not 32016.

07D1 and 7D10 are two completely different talkgroups when programming a trunking scanner.

maultsby

Okay, then I should clarify that I use hex/dec conversion when using Motorola software for a radio, which does indeed require me to add or drop the last zero from the hex number. The websites I use list the 3-character hex codes, and I have to add a zero to the end to use Windows Calculator to convert them for Radio Shack scanner use.

Disregarding the examples I gave, the answer to blueline still is correct: The method of converting hex to decimal does not change from one system to another.

Status
Not open for further replies.