• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Hex editing Maratrac RSS for 6m Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KA0XR

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to program a lowband Maratrac for use on 6 meters (46-54 MHz) but am having apparent issues hex editing the RSS. I have followed the recommendations on the Repeater Builder webpage for the lowband Maratrac series and made the specified edits (basically changing the four separate "F4 01" decimals to "1C 02" for the 6 meter conversion). However, even with these changes the modified RSS is still restricting me to the 42-50 MHz bandsplit.

Does anyone know if I'm missing something or if more edits are needed for this conversion than what is shown on Repeater Builder? I am able to read and program this radio's codeplug without any issues. BTW, I recently hex-edited the RSS for a Motorola P200 which allowed the radio to cover the entire 6 meter band, so I am not a total newbie to hex editing.

petnrdx

I know I replied to your message, but that reply disappeared.
The bandsplit hack I did was YEARS ago.
Might be easiest to just send you the file with the hacked limits.

KA0XR

Premium Subscriber
I figured out what was wrong - I forgot to modify the file extension on the hex edited version of the RSS. The hex editing software I used automatically saved the edited file as just a "file". When I went into DOS I was inadvertently loading the original non-modified RSS that had an EXE extension, not realizing that I needed to change the extension manually on my hexed version.

Once I changed the extension to ".EXE" on the hexed version everything worked and I can now program up to 54 MHz. We also did the hardward mods that are described on repeater-builder. I do see in the RSS that I can still program down to 42 MHz, but I presume the sensitivity is probably not so great below 46 MHz following the hardware mods. There would be nothing to listen to locally down there anyway.

Thank you very much for the offer to send me a version of the hacked file, but we've got things figured out. Very cool to still have the well described step by step Maratrac mod instructions available to help give new life to these old wideband radios for 6m use! The radio we modified was retired from the Connecticut DOT 47 MHz system.

petnrdx

They are still a very good radio for six. Used one for a long time. Still have three or four on the shelf. I have the Syntor X-9000
which is a lot nicer since my memory is bad. But a 99 Ch Maratrac or even Maxtrac is still a pretty good radio.
We got 150 to 180 watts from the Matratrac's when we were running them. And they took it just fine.
With the 99 ch and MPL you can program pretty much every decent 6M repeater in the country.

k9wkj

if one might need the modded firmware mentioned on RB
one might ask
youll need a blanked eprom and burner of course
by using the Ham firmware you can avoid the wacked out power control troubles

petnrdx

If you were referring to my post about power out, we ran them at high power on purpose.
I never had troubles with the power control issues on the Maratrac, only the Maxtrac.
I do have both of the Ham firmware versions.
Max and Mara.

k9wkj

my response was more of a offer to folks that might need it
my Maratracs would get really squirrly when stretching out the band coverage
and my Maxtracs are much happier running the ham firmware

merlin

If you are old hat with hex edit and know what fields to modify, you can do about anything the hardware permits.
Don't forget to correct the CRC.
I know hams have used SC4 files to shift bandspans, don't know programming with Maratrack and Maxtrac.
Might have to diddle with the PLL to get a stable lock.
Sadly I migrated to GE after the latest of Micor

Status
Not open for further replies.