• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Hex Editing XTS1500/2500 900MHz For 33cm Band

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some assistance in figuring out how difficult it is in my CPS to hex edit either an XTS1500 or an XTS2500 to operate on the 900MHz spectrum, primarily the 33cm band of 902-928MHz.

Can either radio be modified to do the 33cm band? If so, which?

I’m trying to get into P25 900MHz via a local ham repeater however I’m having a lot of trouble with the logistics behind this. I don’t want to drop $500 on an HT for it to be useless to me.

N4KVE

I need some assistance in figuring out how difficult it is in my CPS to hex edit either an XTS1500 or an XTS2500 to operate on the 900MHz spectrum, primarily the 33cm band of 902-928MHz.

Can either radio be modified to do the 33cm band? If so, which?

I’m trying to get into P25 900MHz via a local ham repeater however I’m having a lot of trouble with the logistics behind this. I don’t want to drop $500 on an HT for it to be useless to me.
$500 was the price 3-4 years ago. With all the XTS radios being replaced by APX radios, the price has dropped considerably. Now, $300 gets a mint, or even unused radio, & $200 gets a decent looking one. Just 3 weeks ago I picked one up that my friend bought brand new, & hardly used, & it had the AES-256 board in it too. And here is the info you requested.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I’ve referred to this forum earlier and could not find the specific information I was looking for.

The information presented to me was not thorough enough for me to make a sound judgement.

Did you post a question there, or just surfing looking for info?

The traffic on Batlabs has dropped off considerably over the years. If you are not getting any responses, try over at Communications Support page. Communications.Support

Keep in mind that both those pages are frequented by a lot of highly skilled professionals that do this stuff for a living. You'll get some excellent advice, but their demeanor can be a bit rough if you smell like a new guy.

N4KVE

Keep in mind that both those pages are frequented by a lot of highly skilled professionals that do this stuff for a living. You'll get some excellent advice, but their demeanor can be a bit rough if you smell like a new guy.
The info I posted above is exactly what you want, & took me 30 seconds to find. If you go to Communications Support, and ask that question, Mars will blow you up for not taking the 30 seconds to find the info you need. But what you need is 2 posts above.

prcguy

I got a 900MHz XTS-2500 about 2 months ago and followed the info on how to search for and change band limits in the CPS. It was actually quite easy. Why would you pay $500 for a 900MHz hand held? I got my XTS-2500 for $80 on Ebay and it was in fine condition tested and guaranteed with a couple of hamster freqs installed. It doesn't have FPP but the same guy just dumped a bunch of really nice 900MHz XTS-2500s with FPP and more features for $225, which I think is too much $$.

WB6WQF

Premium Subscriber
I came across this post today and apologize if posting 3 months after the last post offends anyone, but does anyone here seriously believe that Mars has anything to do with that "other" site? If so, that's just not the case and it's time to put that rumor to rest.

As far as the OP's question, there probably isn't anything that I don't know about putting a 900 MHz XTS radio into amateur use so feel free to ask if any questions remain. Also, the most recent Motorola radios that work for 900 ham are the XTS/XTL series radios. APX radios will NOT work and that's why the prices for 900 MHz XTS/XTL radios tend to be higher than for other bands.

N4KVE

I came across this post today and apologize if posting 3 months after the last post offends anyone, but does anyone here seriously believe that Mars has anything to do with that "other" site? If so, that's just not the case and it's time to put that rumor to rest.
Mars used to run that site until DHS grabbed him at the Chicago airport coming back from the Dayton ham fest a few tears ago. Now he claims he’s just a member just like you, or me. Supposedly, Number 6 is in charge now. That’s the official story. But Mars can sometimes type out some pretty nasty replies that would be removed had they been posted by other members. So in my mind, he’s still pretty high up on the food chain there. But that’s just my thought, which means nothing.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
If you can find one, a 900 MHz EFJ-5100 has a freely available modified CPS and works well on 900 MHz. The EFJ also has FPP which is an added convenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.