HEX to Dec or Dec to HEX conversions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I recently received an e-mail from a person whos job is to post correct system Hex & dec info asking me to correct my info I submitted. I had posted the correct HEX but his computer program that radio reference uses spit out the incorrect hex & dec. Therefore I felt I should share my way of coming up with the proper HEX & Dec for each talkgroup discovered. So everyone can learn how to properly decode the DEC & HEX when they submit them to R/R

Formulas, this will require a scientific calculator

HEX to DEC {Make sure Calc. is in hex mode & when finished switch to DEC mode for your answer}
--------------------------
Formula

HEX x 10 = DEC

DEC to HEX {Make sure Calc. is in DEC mode & when finished switch to HEX mode for your answer}
-------------------------
Formula

DEC / 16 = HEX

DickH

Com-4 said:

HEX to DEC {Make sure Calc. is in hex mode & when finished switch to DEC mode for your answer}
Formula
HEX x 10 = DEC

DEC to HEX {Make sure Calc. is in DEC mode & when finished switch to HEX mode for your answer}
Formula
DEC / 16 = HEX

I'm not good at math so I use the scientific calculator in Windows. I tried the following two talk groups:
DEC 4656 = HEX 1230
DEC 19184 = HEX 4AF0

Comparing the results with your formulas, the windows calculator must be no good.

morfis

DickH said:
I'm not good at math so I use the scientific calculator in Windows. I tried the following two talk groups:
DEC 4656 = HEX 1230
DEC 19184 = HEX 4AF0

Comparing the results with your formulas, the windows calculator must be no good.

No, you and microsloth windoze are correct ;-)

SCPD

QRT
Yes it is still correct, just ignore the "0" at the end of your answer. It bares no meaning for our application.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
It would be better, if you are a person who needs to deal with the HEX number for programming a real radio, to just assume the number shown in the display on the Database is correct. (Because it is!) ;)

Your formula works, but only for Moto Type II calculations, it is not correct for APCO-25 calculations.

That said, this is a hobby site, not a site for radio technicians, those of you who are radio technicians already know how the DEC (which is not the Motorola decimal number in any case) we have here on the site relates to the HEX number you may have to use in programming a radio. Bringing this topic up, especially in this forum, will do nothing but confuse the new scanner user.

So, to those of you who are confused by any of the forgoing, ignore this thread, forget that there is a HEX number even displayed on the Talk Group display and move on. :cool:

SCPD

QRT
The info on the database was NOT correct which is why I broght up this thread to begin with. I submitted info in HEX form & the database admin person did not know how to figure out the DEC. Therefore saying that this info is useless is a stupid thing to say by you. No info is EVER useless. No matter how small the info is, its still information. Its always good to learn. Also for you to say that this is only good for persons that program radios is another wacked thing to say. I buy surplused radios from governments. I have submitted thousands of talkgroups to this Site. All from where? From radios I have read & e-mailed the hex formats for your database admins to add. I have always e-mailed all my info in HEX format & never had a problem with a admin converting to DEC until today. This admin did not know how to do it. So he asked me for help, and in turn I started this threat. to Educate, not for you to talk it down like the info is not worth anything. Your only shooting youself in the foot by saying such stupid comments.

SCPD

QRT
And if the HEX is soooo unimportant to this site then why is it in this website to begin with?

Why are the connect tones to the systems here?

Because people want to know, this is a information site.

Com-4 said:
I recently received an e-mail from a person whos job is to post correct system Hex & dec info asking me to correct my info I submitted. I had posted the correct HEX but his computer program that radio reference uses spit out the incorrect hex & dec. Therefore I felt I should share my way of coming up with the proper HEX & Dec for each talkgroup discovered. So everyone can learn how to properly decode the DEC & HEX when they submit them to R/R

Formula

HEX x 10 = DEC

Formula

DEC / 16 = HEX

just enter the number in dec and click the HEX button. or vice versa. Real easy. No division to convert at all

SCPD

QRT
You have to use the formula otherwise you get the wrong answer.

"just enter the number in dec and click the HEX button. or vice versa. Real easy. No division to convert at all"

Dec 2592 = A20 {wrong}

The answer is A2 or 0A2

wlmr

Com-4 said:

"just enter the number in dec and click the HEX button. or vice versa. Real easy. No division to convert at all"

Dec 2592 = A20 {wrong}

The answer is A2 or 0A2

Unfortunately this may apply to some systems & radios & not others.

Try decimal 2999. It converts using the calculator to BB7 hex.

In a 9600 baud system P25, ALL IDs are valid, don't have to be divisible by 16 because there aren't any status bits, it's all sent in the digital data.

Anyway, you can't throw away a zero at the end if it is P25 so if your example is for a different type of system that needs to be known.

The windows calculator is fine.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
It Obviously does not work for P25 systems. {I dont have any P25 here so I didnt bother working that part out}

But for type-II systems it works fine.

SCPD

QRT
I think you was talking about the other guy that stated he didnt need to use my formula.
With my formula it comes out to the correct talkgroup BB

wlmr

Com-4 said:
I didnt get BB7,

2999 / 16 = BB

That's the point. For Early Motorola Trunking Systems (Type I and II) dividing by 16 is correct. For Project25 systems EVERY single ID is valid.

No dividing by 16.

IDs 2992 through 3007 are all valid, not the same talkgroup BB with different status bits set, but instead talkgroup IDs BB0, BB1, BB2, through BBF. That is why a P25 system can have 65536 possible talkgroup IDs, (0 through 65535 or 0 through FFFF hex) of which 1 through i think 65532 are all programmable into a radio & usable.

So, back to my point (and that of a couple of other posters above) your formula is correct for Older systems, but not for at least the latest P25 systems.

-update-
I see you responded to my post while I was responding to yours. You're on the right track. Appologies if I got too long winded.

Last edited:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
All of this is exactly why I said the HEX is useless for the scanner hobbyist. The people who know what the HEX represents in the DB don't need your formula. Your supplying the HEX information in a submission should not have invoked any contact with you at all, since HEX information can be imported directly into the DB (providing of course that you provided correct information).

Com-4 said:
The info on the database was NOT correct which is why I brought up this thread to begin with. I submitted info in HEX form & the database admin person did not know how to figure out the DEC. Therefore saying that this info is useless is a stupid thing to say by you.
I don't consider myself stupid, and based on my experience on this site and your attitude you don't really know what you are talking about. The HEX information, as I said, for the scanner hobbyist is useless information. The fact that you want to show off and submit HEX is fine, I notice you said you get it by "reading" radios you get hold of, that would indicate that you have Motorola software (I only explain this so that the normal users of this forum know that you have it), a fact I was well aware of before I made my first comment. Your attitude that you hold forth and get away with in the Florida forum will not hold here.
  • First, you are not on the staff here, so your assuming to advise users in this forum is inappropriate.
  • Second, your referring to my comment as "stupid" when it was clearly appropriate shows that you are ignorant of the purpose of this forum.
  • Third, you provided an incomplete picture and when called on it, by me and others, you defend your incorrect data and when overwhelming evidence is presented you then say "It Obviously does not work for P25 systems. {I dont have any P25 here so I didnt bother working that part out} ". [sarcasm] Well, I guess I will contact Lindsay and tell him to remove all the Project 25 systems because Com-4 doesn't think we should bother with them. :roll: [/sarcasm]

I will repeat my position and there is no need for further comment on this.

The formula Com-4 presented does not work in all instances and his explanation of why it doesn't work exactly is flawed. For you professionals out there, you don't need the formula, as you already know how to convert from the Uniden Trunk Tracking Decimal number that all scanners use to either the Motorola HEX or Decimal value to program your radios.

For you hobbyist, forget that HEX exists, it really has no meaning for you or your scanner, there are no scanners out there that use it. Before anyone jumps up and says anything about Scanner Programming Software using it, they don't use it correctly either so don't try and use the HEX values we have in the DB at all; they are there only for the professionals.

And that, Com-4, is why this entire thread is a waste of bandwidth.

Com-4 said:

Dec 2592 = A20 {wrong}

The answer is A2 or 0A2

Then that is not true Hex

DEC HEX
1 1
2 2
3 3
4 4
5 5
6 6
7 7
8 8
9 9
10 a
11 b
12 c
13 d
14 e
15 f
16 10 But you would show this as 1 which is incorrect

SCPD

QRT
Lou is on a power trip with his volunteer Database Admin Position.

There are many forlumas that people have come up with to convert Hex to DEC. some being more complex then others. Mine works for type-II formats & is a simple form then most formulas I have found. None that I have seen are fail proof. But all work for the application intended.

Lou if your system was so perfect then the database admin wouldnt have come up with a incorrect answer. Which is what started this thread, I do not have to be a admin to post here.
"The place to discuss administration related issues"

Which is what I did. If my formula does not compute P25, then fine. We talk about it, we do not start saying "ignore this thread" its useless. blah blah, no info is ever useless.

I am sure Lou is going to come back with some more flames. He doesn't bother add value to the post, no formulas of his own other then saying "ignore this thread" you guys dont need to bother with hex to Dec. Gee, I guess he is speaking for everyone on this site. Maybe we should just take ALL hex off this site since it is just a "hobby" site. Scanners dont need it While we are at it, lets remove connect tones, system IDs, transmit frequencies for Conventional. After all, its just a hobby site, we dont need to know all that do we?

Lou, you preech about waste of bandwidth, but if you search thru the forums there are about 15 flaming arguements going on with several users including DataBase Admins about much more useless info then this thread. Now thats a waste of bandwidth.

SCPD

QRT
You can have this thread Lou. I am done & going back to more productive things that actually make money.

More power to Lou.

Vol. Database Admin who says censor everything. You guys do not need to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.