Hey Dispatchers (Telecommunicators)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
Hey, I was just wondering what type of dispatchers we have here.

I working for a local City/County Dispatch agency which dispatches City Police, County Sheriff, County EMS, and City/County Fire. I was wondering if we have any military, federal, or what other types we might have. Or even air traffic controllers....

matthew...

w0fg

Ex-dispatcher for the Iowa Highway Patrol (Now Iowa State Patrol) and later for the local SO. Betwixt & between...I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

pddispatcher

Dispatcher of Police Only

For Kentucky League of Cities 2nd Class City - Population: 30,000

5 years experience

Strength of 50 police officer department.

scootz

Premium Subscriber
Over 28 years worth of Dispatch/EMS experience here. Work for private ambulance in Metro Oregon.

Our center dispatches 6 different counties worth of dirt. Some days with 60+ ambulances on the road in all our areas at a time.

My little corner of the world I deal with 20 on a medium day.

Over a million folks in the Metro area and still growing.

morrowcounty

I have been a dispatcher for almost 4 years.

I work for a small Sheriff's Office in Eastern Oregon. Our agency dispatches for the Sheriff's Office and 1 city Police Department. There are 5 communities that are in the county and we dispatch their city only or city-rural fire department. Each community also has and ambulance or quick response team which we also dispatch for.

Our crew is 8 full time dispatchers Additional we have 1 person at works part time in dispatch and other time in records. 1 person that is in charge of prisoners and helps in dispatch (we contact with a neighboring agency for jail space.) Rounding out the crew is the dispatch supervisor. In all, 11 crew members for the dispatch center. Dispatchers do work alone at times.

Our county has a population of approx 12,000 people and the county size is approx 2,000 Sq miles.

reedeb

I was the head of communications for my home town fire dept in Maine. We were dispatched by county and then I would take over upon my arrival at the station. Also did dispatching for 6 months with a smalltown in the late 70's FD, PD, and Rescue

Gbcue

I dispatched for a few days during a Triathlon doing operations, if that counts.

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
I dispatched for a few days during a Triathlon doing operations, if that counts.

You being from CA also makes me wonder if we have any dispatchers in high celebrity areas. I was thinking about this the last time i was at work and heard the 911 tape of hulk hogans wife talking to 911 dispatch stating she was following her husband hulk hogan. that would be an interesting call but i am sure they get so many Hollywood calls it is just a normal occurrence for them.

Astro25

I did it for a month for a town of 97,000 before I went to a different area of the department.

I'd like to get back in to it later on though. It's an interesting job. No day is the same. :lol:

andy404ns

I dispatched for public safety at my college as a part time job while I was in school. I always enjoyed it. It was certainly better than sitting at the library circulation desk.

SCPD

QRT
In a few monthes I will be training to become a 9-1-1 disptcher. Any tips?

I have been an EMT/Paramedic for a year or so and finding it to be a handfull. Only problem is, its voleenter. I would like a paying job. Oh, and I also work in an office!

Astro25

Learn the 10-codes or any other applicable lingo beforehand if you can, if you know they are correct for that area. However, some departments don't like that as they'd rather be the ones that train and teach you the ropes with that kind of thing.

commstar

Premium Subscriber
In a few monthes I will be training to become a 9-1-1 disptcher. Any tips?

I have been an EMT/Paramedic for a year or so and finding it to be a handfull. Only problem is, its voleenter. I would like a paying job. Oh, and I also work in an office!

No offense intended but serious guidance here; pay close attention to spelling and grammar- everyone will see your work and folks lives depend on what you say and how you say it. Seriously, critically important stuff.

I have witnessed a defense attorney try to pillory a dispatcher in court more than once over various errors. Does not happen often but not pretty when it does. Accuracy is critical.

Learn to be clear, concise, complete and how to get your message out with the most brevity possible.

Beyond that, whatever agency that hires you will likely train you their way on their systems so I would prepare by way of the basics and set a good foundation for yourself.

Any errors in this posting were left in for your amusement.

MrRevesz

Premium Subscriber
At my old fire department, we had the town dispatch us but once we got to the station depending on manpower and who was certified to ride on the apparatuses, we would have someone take over dispatching on our communication systems, which was always pretty cool. On days where central dispatch was being over loaded and just had too many calls on their hand, they would tone us for a member to come sit in our dispatch room to handle any 911 calls for fire...

Also a little off topic, I wasn't aware there were any volunteer paramedics, what squad do you work for matthewpd?

Status
Not open for further replies.