"Hey", from Pgh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winkwink

I'm new and just thought I'd make an intro post.

I used to listen to the scanner with my dad when I was a kid and loved it; with his recent passing, I've gotten a bit nostalgic and wanted to keep that interest alive even though I'm a grown woman now.

I didn't get access to any of his multiple scanners (bc his gf is crazy), so I just bought a little (good enough) cheapy on eBay.
It's a Baofeng bf-f9v2+ (which is Greek to me), but I'm figuring it out, little by little.

So anyhow, hi.
I'm also a teeeeeeeeeeny but of an urban prepper, too, so this little hobby has kind of a dual purpose for me in disaster/emergency information/awareness, too.

K4EET

Chaplain
I'm new and just thought I'd make an intro post.

I used to listen to the scanner with my dad when I was a kid and loved it; with his recent passing, I've gotten a bit nostalgic and wanted to keep that interest alive even though I'm a grown woman now.

I didn't get access to any of his multiple scanners (bc his gf is crazy), so I just bought a little (good enough) cheapy on eBay.
It's a Baofeng bf-f9v2+ (which is Greek to me), but I'm figuring it out, little by little.

So anyhow, hi.
I'm also a teeeeeeeeeeny but of an urban prepper, too, so this little hobby has kind of a dual purpose for me in disaster/emergency information/awareness, too.

Hi Winkwink and welcome to Radio Reference. As you will notice from the description on this page (https://baofengradio.us/baofeng-bff9v2-black.html), the lead-in paragraph under "Description" states "The BF-F9 V2+ is the next level of ham radio..." which requires a license from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to operate or face up to a $10,000 fine plus possible jail time. The entire line of Baofeng radios are NOT scanners in the true sense of the term scanner. They can scan but at a very slow rate and generally not on the type systems that Fire and Police are using. You would need a REAL scanner for that but you would want to discuss what you want to listen to and then solicit comments from other Radio Reference users.

Again, welcome to Radio Reference. Let us know what you want to scan specifically and post your comments/questions in the appropriate forum. As for your Baofeng radio, I would see about selling it in order to get what you really need to scan whatever it is that you want to scan. And please, do not even consider transmitting with your radio because you would only be asking for trouble. Unless, of course, you are already a licensed ham radio operator.

Dave

Yes, welcome!

Your Baofeng will let you listen to some things, but won't tune some others in, so it all depends exactly where you are and what you want to hear. The "need to know" things are in the database. Each radio system that you would be able to pick up has a frequency and in some cases a "tone" or "code" squelch. The database is very friendly in terms of pointing to where you are and drilling down into a local list.

Like Dave said, I wouldn't transmit on that, either. But if you decide you'd like to pursue the radio hobby, you could easily get a ham license and speak with other people in and around your community. Ham radio was the original social media.

I got to know your area pretty well a few weeks ago when my car broke down on a trip through I-79. That resulted in my car spending the weekend in Kirwan Heights and me spending the weekend at the Super-8 in Canonsburg. Fortunately, I had my Uniden 436HP scanner and was able to hear what was going on around me. Situational awareness is good. We ended up getting home "down south" okay, but were mostly hotel-bound for the rainy Steelers weekend. Thankfully there was a Papa John's and Chinese food place not far away that delivered.

bharvey2

Winkwink - Welcome! As noted, your Baofeng will allow you to monitor a number of services in the Pittsburg area. However, it will be very slow. If you just intend to monitor say, the police and or fire dispatch, it should serve you just fine. If you want to have more than a few channels, you'd be better off just buying a purpose built scanner radio. Almost all of them will work in your area for the time being. If you do decide to use your Baofeng, make absolutely sure that no transmit frequencies are in place. Transmitting over the public service bands, even accidently, could get you in a world of trouble.

On a related note, you should consider studying for your HAM tech license. The materials can be found online, the cost for the test is almost non-existent (usually $15) and then you'll be able to transmit using your new radio. Given your history with your father, I suspect you may find it an enjoyable hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.