Hey GRE, UNIDEN, where are the new RS scanners!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
scanjunkie said:
This issue has been discussed several times. The general consensus is that RS/GRE is waiting for rebanding to happen to make sure the new scanner they put out will definitely work with the rebanded systems. Maybe not a smart move, but if for some reason no other scanner works and theirs does, they may be making a good move. Just be patient...I'm sure the next unit will be something unbelievable!!
well said, if something works don't fix it not everyone is using 700mhz i believe that the 96 and 97 are great scanners that will work very well, and until the big rebinding thing is rolled out why should the through a lot of money at something that is not yet working coast to coast, I mean get a grip here if you where one of there share holders you would want them spending there money on something that gets a good return on the dollar its just that simple.

1979lee

John_M said:
I don't think they have a choice. Milair, LTR, 700mhz P25, and signal stalker II should be in their next generation of digital scanners. They also will probably put a whole lot of features in them. .

thats exactly what i'd like too see in a new rs scanner, i have a pro-97 now and i am enjoying this unit and all of its features , but rs needs to get going on this issue:confused:

trunker0205

Think about it from a marketing position..How many $500-600 dollar scanners is radio shack going to sell..All of us here drool over the features in the 996 but would the average person who listens to weather channel and local firehouse going to buy it, I think not..Most people can't even program the newer feature packed scanners.Radio shack marketing is not the top end user they try to appeal to the average joe because they will sell 10 times more 100 channel scanners at $100 vs 6,000 channel @ $500...The last great scanner Radio shack made (GRE) was the Pro-2042 which I still own and will never part with..I even sold my pro-2006 which I thought I never would...The scanning market is a strange one there is only 2 companies producing Scanners right now.Take a look how many cell phone companies or computer companies there are...We are the minority 95% of the members have at least 2 or 3 radios and are looking for more and to us is quite normal, but go outside this forum and people look a us like we have 3 heads...

Last edited:

John_M

trunker0205 Wrote:

The last great scanner Radio shack made (GRE) was the Pro-2042 which I still own and will never part with..

The last great scanner GRE made was the Pro-96. The V-folders made Uniden come up with dynamic memory. Along with dynamic memory they also added many features (396t). The Pro-96 came out in 2003 and was the first digital scanner GRE made and they pretty much got it right the first time (DSP updates 2, CPU updates 1). For digital performance the Pro-96 wins (Less anymore 396t DSP firmware updates). The 396t is a great scanner too but with slightly less digital performance. GRE has seen all the features that Uniden has put into the 396t and 996t. It should be interesting to see what features GRE puts into their next digital scanner.

csuh13

Premium Subscriber
bagmouse7 said:
How long till RS admits the truth and changes their name to "Cell Phone Shack"?

Um... A cell phone IS a radio.

It's nothing more than a 2-way microwave transciever.

cristisphoto

HUH??
How do you see tha as a retro look
Or are you just messing with ma head LOL
I have a pro 97
And I think whilst Great scanners,
Just toyish.
I mean you are NOT going to see a profesional with a 96 or 97 etc...
It makes one look like a cheesy stalker ya know:roll:
Now when I hold my BCD396T ,
I fell like a bona fide monitor LOL
Albiet a mere citizen
whom is on Diasability...
CBS, ABC, Fox, NBC, Etc they use Uniden's Mostly...
I have looked inside a ABC7 van when a double shooting one fatal INSIDE a club across the street from my building happened earlier this year happened
AND Guess what they had:
Sure the heck wasnt a Ratshack
It was a Mobile Uniden

SOOO speaking of LSD LOL
Anyways
Warm Regards
Crista

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
"CBS, ABC, Fox, NBC, Etc they use Uniden's Mostly"

Most networks don't use scanners, they rely on their news affiliates to feed them info.

I've worked at two TV stations, one used Unidens and the other RS. Just depends on who needs what functionality.

cristisphoto

LOL
How do you see it as a retro look???:confused:

Actually I would LOVE to see a old style 6o's OUTSIDE
with the guts of a APCO 25 :lol:
and even D-star wideband recvcier
THAT WOULD RUUULE!!!

I honestly dont ssee how the 96 fits Retro
Toy maybe but REtro????
Seriously School me on your mindset LOL:( ;)
Warm regards
Crista

KLH

Feed Provider
RS is about to release a new scanner.
SKU 20-433
PRO-433 1K TRUNK BASE SCANNER
$169.99

We are going to be getting two in a shipment in the coming weeks. Or so the system says. That is currently the only info available.

From the tag, it looks like it is the same as a PRO 97.

cristisphoto

KLH said:
SKU 20-433
$169.99

We are going to be getting two in a shipment in the coming weeks. Or so the system says. That is currently the only info available.

Where do you see that at??
I looked around,
Nothing!!!
Unless you work at Radio Shack??
anyways
Warm Regards
Crista

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
KLH said:
SKU 20-433
$169.99

If you look at the FCC ID you see it's a PRO-94 triple trunking upgrade called PRO-433.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
cristisphoto said:
LOL
How do you see it as a retro look???:confused:

Actually I would LOVE to see a old style 6o's OUTSIDE
with the guts of a APCO 25 :lol:
and even D-star wideband recvcier
THAT WOULD RUUULE!!!

I honestly dont ssee how the 96 fits Retro
Toy maybe but REtro????
Seriously School me on your mindset LOL:( ;)
Warm regards
Crista

Don't think you'll see a D-Star scanner any time soon, but if you buy an Icom PCR-2500 you could add the card to decode it, but there are not many D-Star amateur radio repeaters in the US, so far ;)

cristisphoto

DaveIN said:
Don't think you'll see a D-Star scanner any time soon, but if you buy an Icom PCR-2500 you could add the card to decode it, but there are not many D-Star amateur radio repeaters in the US, so far ;)
\

\\AHHH but one could wish..
Soon though I think so long as more and more hams try it out...
The Icom will have to wait as it seems a tad to pricey for now..
But as we all
know prices go down a time goes on...:p
LOL:D

Crista

Radioshcak wont have AnYTHING new for a while as they are restructuring..
IF they can do better then I'll go back but ONLY as as a SUpplement...

KLH said:
SKU 20-433
$169.99

I can verify that info. We got a packing list with one on it today. No shipped quanitity, but it should be coming soon.

VintageJon

Well, I'm not buying ANY scanner til rebanding takes effect. Fortunately this is not a problem as we are near solid P-25 800 Mhz here in Central Tx.
The RS-96 handles it like a charm... (Especially with indoor 1/4 Wave gound plane...)

The Uniden Pro91 was groovy in it's day, but is near useless here and in San Antone today.
Found the Pro96 was more sensitive and had superior audio even on SAIA Air Terminal
last weekend, in San Antone. (The Pro91 was useless in S.A. and in Austin.)

Have yet to see any 700 MHz here.

Rebanding will be a New World I'm sure. We must be patient and wait for it to pan-out...

-Jon

cristisphoto

WOw !!!
SO much happening
Yeah I DO believe it's going to a brighter future for the radio indudstry
Let's hope LOL
Warm Regards
Crista

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
KLH said:
SKU 20-433
$169.99

What about the PRO-528??? SKU 20-528. 1000-Ch Triple-Trunking Handheld Scanner... Guess the 20-433 has a brother :p

Status
Not open for further replies.