Hey UPMAN WHAT'S NEXT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yaesumofo

OK we have for the most part all installed the latest and greatest firmware Uniden has to offer.
We have all heard about the vaporous new pay(?) per radio features.
OK I am sure I am not alone in wondering what is really on the horizon for the BC396D?
If you can't say anything about this or give any hints please tell us WHEN we can expect the next round of "new" features.
Seriously please give us something to discuss and talk about that will lead us to reality.
Thanks.
Yaesumofo

D

DaveNF2G

It is precisely the kind of speculative discussion you are requesting that leads away from reality and into debates and flame wars about "vaporous" features.

Don_Burke

yaesumofo said:
Seriously please give us something to discuss and talk about that will lead us to reality.
I suggest that removing words like "vaporous" from the vocabulary of the discussion would be a good step toward reality.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
We announce new stuff (scanners/updates/upgrades) when they are ready to be announced. I'd tell you about them now, but then I'd have to kill you.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
We announce new stuff (scanners/updates/upgrades) when they are ready to be announced.

I really hate that kind of an answer, it give us nothing to look forward to and we have no idea if anything will ever happen. It wouldn't hurt to let the people that paid $500+ for our radios know whats in store or whats being worked on. As long as these radios have been out there should have been plenty of time to get new features added to them. Heck, even one per year wouldn't be a hard thing to pull off.

Come on Uniden GIVE US SOMETHING :)

troymail

Silent Key
We announce new stuff (scanners/updates/upgrades) when they are ready to be announced. I'd tell you about them now, but then I'd have to kill you.

I guess Uniden 'learned' something from the last 'early' announcement - smart move to wait ...

GRE just released an update and there was no early warning that was coming either so Uniden (UPMan) is not alone. On the other hand, GRE has been releasing updates fairly regularly since the radios appeared last year....

jerk

I guess Uniden 'learned' something from the last 'early' announcement - smart move to wait ...

GRE just released an update and there was no early warning that was coming either so Uniden (UPMan) is not alone. On the other hand, GRE has been releasing updates fairly regularly since the radios appeared last year....

But at least GRE releases updates often, and they fix problems and even add new features. (Like radio ID)

Uniden still does not have a firmware that decodes digital in acceptable manner to many users and sounds decent. And they've been taking away tweaking abilities from users; GRE is adding them.

With that I say look at the track records and buy accordingly. And the last announcement from Uniden promised wonderful things, and it was by no means premature. In fact I think it was long overdue. Though there was delay to fix a missed problem. And so coming soon meant a wait of two additional weeks.

troymail

Silent Key
But at least GRE releases updates often, and they fix problems and even add new features. (Like radio ID)

Uniden still does not have a firmware that decodes digital in acceptable manner to many users and sounds decent. And they've been taking away tweaking abilities from users; GRE is adding them.

With that I say look at the track records and buy accordingly. And the last announcement from Uniden promised wonderful things, and it was by no means premature. In fact I think it was long overdue. Though there was delay to fix a missed problem. And so coming soon meant a wait of two additional weeks.

I hear ya - I'm a long time Uniden (Bearcat) owner and I still really like my BC396 for alot of reasons - except the digital decode and voice quality.... which is why I now own and primarily use my PSR500. If I could get the same decoding from my 396, I'd easily go back.

al95

The psr-500

The psr 500 now a password to operate it. I own both the Gre Psr 500 and bcd396t. The psr-500 password is the best. I hope Uniden does something like this to there scanner. If I lose it (I hope not) no one will be able to use it.

MetalCarnage

Are you serious? The next Uniden scanner is going to have ProVoice capability! Thanks UPMan for the update!!!

MetalCarnage

I personally love the new firmware, does P25 in my area perfectly now on my 396, night and day difference from the old firmware, its a shame everyone doesnt get the same results from the new stuff.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Ok, so I guess my reply was a bit flip (but Petrol's reply made Dr. Pepper squirt out my nose).

Seriously, there are several reasons we don't normally pre-announce new features, updates, etc:

1) The firmware isn't fully tested and final until it is fully tested and final. Until that happens, we could decide to remove, add, change, or otherwise modify from our original plan for the final release. I don't want to ever promise something then not deliver...and regret greatly those times when we have.

2) I don't want our competition to have the benefit of knowing what we are going to do a month, two months, or 6 months from now. It is apparent from their pre-announcements that they feel the same way about me. :)

af5rn

Seriously, there are several reasons we don't normally pre-announce new features, updates, etc:
I completely understand that. That's just common sense.

You don't need to actually "announce it". Maybe you could just leak it in an encrypted message to the several thousand guys here who are your close, personal friends. We can keep a secret! :D

yaesumofo

I suggest that you create your own thread which meets your approval.
IMHO everything which has been hinted at by Uniden in the past in terms of future feature upgrades or updates and the ability to add them is in fact VAPOR until something becomes available.
Don't like how I characterized the situation? Too bad I guess. The Vaporous word stays until the reality changes.
Yaesumofo

I suggest that removing words like "vaporous" from the vocabulary of the discussion would be a good step toward reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.