HF Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

pddispatcher

Hey Guys,

I am getting ready to close on my new home and fortunately this deal I'm buying has some land with some pretty decent trees in the back yard. They are spaced out well and would like to string up some dipoles for 80,40,20 & 17. While I am familiar that one band will work on another band using harmonics I don't think I should get carried away.

I am probably going to be doing a fan dipole config on a alpha delta center insulator.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the best way to ensure all wires have low SWR.

pddispatcher

I hate to say this but will the neighbors allow it? People are quite antenna unfriendly these days.

It is not in a non restricted community/subdivision and its 1 1/2 acres.

Other than the neighbors not liking me ( like I really care ) and there is no local ordinances countywide and subdivision wise I don't see a problem unless I cause a ton of TVI issues with my dipoles.

KC0QNB

I thought I could answer your request but know what, I can't find the answer must be a senior moment.

Last edited:

k9rzz

Hey Guys,

I am getting ready to close on my new home and fortunately this deal I'm buying has some land with some pretty decent trees in the back yard. They are spaced out well and would like to string up some dipoles for 80,40,20 & 17. While I am familiar that one band will work on another band using harmonics I don't think I should get carried away.

I am probably going to be doing a fan dipole config on a alpha delta center insulator.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the best way to ensure all wires have low SWR.

Pick up or borrow an antenna analyzer. That will save you hours of time.

jhooten

I have 240 feet of wire strung 70 feet high between large pine trees. It is fed in the center with 75 feet of ladder line to a balun with a short RG-213 jumper to a polyphaser on a 8 foot ground rod, then another RG-213 jumper to an MFJ-993B automatic tuner. It will load from 160 through 6 meters. I get good reports on local 80/40 meter nets and have been able to work about 30 states on 160 so far. When the upper bands are open it allows me to work most areas of the world.

It is not perfect but it is usable. If you know you will never want to work 160 you can shorten it up by half and still get good results.

Status
Not open for further replies.