Hf Antenna????

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwl48

Hi

I know all about the "WIKI" site and realy appreciate being able to view it. And I read the all the reviews on the PAR EF-SWL antenna at eham. But I still want to ask the people hear what they think of it and if someone has a better recommendation for general SW listening antenna around $50. bucks. I am new to this and was going build one but the more I read in the "WIKI" the more I realized it is cheper and less time consuming for to me just to buy one all ready made for now.

Thanks Bob

mkh

I have the PAR End FedZ which looks like the same antenna (pictures are identical) from Grove (http://www.grove-ent.com/ANT8.html).

I haven't mounted the antenna yet but rather open a window and stretch it out across my front yard. I'm using it on my WinRadio WR-G305e and I'm very impressed with it. I use it for ham as well as SWL and it is working great just stretched out across the yard. I can't imagine how well it will do when it is put up in the air (hopefully this weekend).

rwl48

Hf Swl

Thats good to hear. I'll be looking forward to hear how it performs properly installed outside. I plan to have A long wire in the house connected to an antenna switch and have the PAR End FedZ outside. So I can switch between the two antennas and disconnect when not in use. I'm bitten by the HF bug and opend to constructing comments and advice on parts like antenna switches tuners etcetera that make SWL better.:D

mkh

I just bought (hasn't arrived yet) an antenna switch so that I can use the PAR End FedZ on the WR-G305e and use a RS scanner antenna that I picked up at the local hamfest. It was $15 and I got almost two for that price. One was still in the box and the other one was partially assembled. It is missing the base plate that holds the radials but I may be able to get it up and working to. I want to get it working but I do prefer the HF stuff.

I'll keep you informed.

gcgrotz

I bought the EF-SWL so I can get the antenna away from the computer in the shack, the main drawback to endfed longwire. It will allow for coax feed also. Right now mine is stapled to the wooden fence about 42" off the ground. It seems to work pretty good. I hear Radio New Zealand regularly on 9.870 in the AM and was even able to copy them after they switch to 7.145 (which is beamed north from NZ to cover the Pacific) at 9am EDT.

I'm waiting for leaves to fall to put a rope in the tree behind my shed. Antenna will go up from ground there as an L as high as I can get it and then stretch back toward the house.

Check in the HF antenna wiki for an article from Wellbrook describing this configuration. The article is about magnetic longwire baluns (which is what the PAR is) and here is the link: http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/UMB.html

Anyway, I'm happy so far with my PAR. Thinking about one for 20 meters since I live on a very small city lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.