HF Antennas & Accessories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo68

Hi thought start a thread what hf antennas we are using to monitor long distance signals end other accessories..

Miracel Ducker-IL Portable
Wellbrook-ALA1530
Wellbrook-ALA1530AL-1
Wellbrook-1530L
Wellbrook-330S

Bhi NES-10 MKII Noise Eliminating Speaker
Icom-UT106 Dsp on PCR1000,R75,R2500
Jps NIR-10 Noise Interference Reduction (2)
Mfj 1026 Noise interference Canceller

Regards Lino..

Last edited:

markclark

Premium Subscriber
I'm using a PAR ENDZFED SWL longwire antenna, run horizontally and an RF Systems MK II DX Professional with a TimeWave ANC-4 Noise Canceller and a ICE Model 475 AC line filter. All my equipment is connected to a single point ground system run a to an 8' copper clad ground rod. After experimenting with the longwire as a 30' degree sloper, I found it most quiet as a horizontal. Both antennas are connected to a high quality coax switch and fed to my receiver.

Mark Clark

markclark

Premium Subscriber
carmelof:

Actually I'm thinking about a Wellbrook or Pixel loop. I like to DX the Broadcast Band as well. I understand loops are very quiet antennas.

Turbo68

Hi Mark im very happy with my 4 Wellbrook loops excellent customer service as well they are very quiet all my 6 uncles got them never heard a complain in fact one of my them got the original 1530 up for 10 years and never had a problem my main intrest is monitoring hf aero/utilities..

Regards Lino..

k9rzz

Inverted "L" wire antenna. Up ~60 ft and across ~110ft. #14 stranded wire.

http://youtu.be/wGuysGsaqOo

Also have a low wire ~75 ft long, up 15 ft.

Depending on what I'm listening to, one may be better than the other.

Last edited:
Wire swl antenna

I have an R20 and wish to extend it's reception to include some overseas stations and maybe some SSB traffic. I can't erect an outside antenna as I live in a gated village with restrictions on what you can but up on the roof. I saw a photo of a BNC plug with a long wire soldered to the inner core and the wire out of the window. I was wondering if anybody has this set up and how well it works.

While I'm on the subject of wire, would fine gauge plastic coated electrical copper wire be the best shot or something heavier?

I was working on about 30 feet from my back window across to the garden shed. (small garden) I'd have to wind it in before dawn as we have resident dobbers here.

I thought about an active loop, but they might be too big for SWL inside??

Any advice will be appreciated

Thanks

SCPD

QRT
Actually I'm thinking about a Wellbrook or Pixel loop. I like to DX the Broadcast Band as well. I understand loops are very quiet antennas.

Just understand that they're not magic "noise-eliminating" antennas ... like the manufacturer's want you to believe. They do reduce some (power line) noise -- but they are not perfect. The loop has to be mounted on an antenna rotator to maximize this feature.

woebbers

I have a Pixel Loop in my apartment most of the time and sometimes on my balcony. The loop is about 36" in diameter and is mounted on a piece of 1 1/2 " plastic PVC. I have the pipe sit into a piece of cement <cinder> block to hold it straight and it will still rotate easily by hand.

The noise level varies for me on the balcony Im 2db less then inside. If your going to listen to the big Guys out there its no problem. I have a hard time hearing some of the military stuff do to the noise level which is around S5 most of the time. I have a wire antenna strung in the woods behind me that i need to unhook in daylight do to my apartment rules and that noise level isnt much better then the loop. So what I did was run a wire around the ceiling of the apartment and hooked it up to antenna tuner and between the 2 I hear most everything I want to hear.

I like taking my Icom R-75 to the park and run a wire there and i get little to no noise floor ..thats awesome!.

Sal

Turbo68

Hi Nick youre right about the loop cant put mine up on my second story roof the noise is bad due to all electrical wiring insided the roof,down lights the further from the house the better reception they get even when it comes to height since i lowered my 1530L by 2 metres reception is a lot better..

Regards Lino..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.