Aero HF ATC frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
from the SWLing.post blog-interesting that the URLs say ARINC but the website actually reflects the owner, which is a division, as I understand it, of Rockwell Collins

Now this is a bit more comprehensive, even though it's from 2019 - and you should be able to cross reference the Collins site with this....

The only thing here is that this list doesn't appear to have the latest HFDL table information, which includes a new South Korean site (at least it didn't come up when I searched for 'Kor'). If you need those frequencies go here...

And look for a file called 'HFDL system table 51 for PC-HFDL + text file'. This will be a zip file that contains a text listing of the latest table.

Mike

GB46

Thanks for that informative post, Mike. The two URLs on swling.com have all the aero frequency info I need. I used the "Save as PDF" feature in my browser, and the lists came out looking exactly like the web pages themselves.

I now have more HF frequencies listed in various formats on my hard drive than current propagation conditions and my geographical location will let me monitor.

GB46

FYI, I just updated the RR MWARA Wiki -- with the latest data: MWARA - The RadioReference Wiki

There was only a few edits and that was on the Atlantic side. Here's the latest charts and operating handbook from April 2020 if anyone needs them: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1upqfj0aedbxo4t/ARINCHF.zip?raw=1
Thank you very much! I just downloaded the Zip, and those charts are a great reference. Not being a pilot, I don't need the handbook, but it makes interesting reading.

Unfortunately I'm not hearing nearly as many aeronautical transmissions as I used to, probably at least partly due to the pandemic's huge impact on the airline industry, not to mention poor propagation conditions. I do get Gander Radio on 8891 khz occasionally, and the LDOC frequency of 11342 is active sometimes, but I wish I could hear more of those enroute communications. That used to be my favorite utility. Even our local airport's VHF tower frequency hasn't been as active as it used to be.

Lynch_Christopher

Database Admin
Thank you very much! I just downloaded the Zip, and those charts are a great reference. Not being a pilot, I don't need the handbook, but it makes interesting reading.

Unfortunately I'm not hearing nearly as many aeronautical transmissions as I used to, probably at least partly due to the pandemic's huge impact on the airline industry, not to mention poor propagation conditions. I do get Gander Radio on 8891 khz occasionally, and the LDOC frequency of 11342 is active sometimes, but I wish I could hear more of those enroute communications. That used to be my favorite utility. Even our local airport's VHF tower frequency hasn't been as active as it used to be.

I also think it’s because most airlines are now favoring CPDLC as their primary mode of communications. I believe Jetblue is using HF as a backup when they are in WATRS airspace over the Atlantic traveling down to the Carribean

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
If you read the operating procedures then you'll see they are using SATVOICE now... and yes, HF is pretty much for backup.

GB46

If you read the operating procedures then you'll see they are using SATVOICE now... and yes, HF is pretty much for backup.
So yet another HF service bites the dust. I used to keep dozens of aero frequencies in my R75's memories. Now it's down to just the seven I can sometimes hear when they're active.

I go to my VHF/UHF scanner when there's not much to monitor on HF, but even though there are lots of analog signals in my locality stored in 108 of the radio's channels, the pandemic closures and lockdowns have slowed down the local economy so badly that I can scan for an hour or so before there's any activity to open the squelch. Maybe the occasional fire or ambulance call, a taxi, or some kids playing with their FRS walkie-talkies.

majoco

Stirrer
I was under the impression that Satvoice was an LDOC communication method. Even if an aircraft is in communication with ATC for their particular area through CPDLC they are still obliged to check in with the control centre for their new area and test the Selcal on HF.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
I was under the impression that Satvoice was an LDOC communication method. Even if an aircraft is in communication with ATC for their particular area through CPDLC they are still obliged to check in with the control centre for their new area and test the Selcal on HF.

I wasn't implying that HF service has stopped -- they'll keep using it for routine traffic -- but SATVOICE for everything else. I still hear HF LDOC traffic but it's been really limited. I think the last time I heard a crew speaking with their maintenance people regarding some fault was only because their SAT capability wasn't working.

That being said, I don't hear very much routine MWARA traffic either. So perhaps they've finally started using it for routine traffic as well.

JerryX

I used to listen to SF Radio 2 on 11282 kHz regularly, but as soon as the Covid pandemic started and air traffic dropped off, I'm hearing very little on this (or any other aero voice frequency).

I still hear lots of flights on HFDL, however.

GB46

I haven't heard anything from San Francisco Radio since the pandemic, either, and San Franciso is only 820 miles by air from where I live. Aside from 11282, I used to hear them regularly on 8843 and 10057, as well. Gander is farther away, and I hear them once in a blue moon, but the moon hasn't been looking too blue lately. 😁

I might as well use those memory slots in my receivers for something else.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
6655khz from SF is still very active in the wee hours of the morning. Oddly though I don't hear traffic on 5547/5574 at all.

majoco

Stirrer
Jerry X said:
I used to listen to SF Radio 2 on 11282 kHz
Most of the traffic seems to be on 8843Khz - I can't hear that in the daytime but it booms in from late afternoon, say 0500UTC.

JerryX

Yes, that seems to be the case. I'm hearing much more traffic on 8843 kHz than on 11282 kHz.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Hawaii was/is really strict about travel to the islands so that's why you don't hear much on those CEP frequencies.

air-scan

Two months later:
3455 New York Radio Car-A and 11330 New York Radio Car-B has been active. I am listening in Oklahoma.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
mtnce guy answering aircraft on HF - why are you calling us on HF?

pilot - because our sat radio is down

mtnce guy - what problem would you like to report?

pilot - our sat radio is down!

mtnce guy - OK!

Status
Not open for further replies.