HF becoming like CB

K6GBW

Is it just me, or has HF taken a turn toward the low brow antics of CB? Lately, I fire up my radio to get on a morning 40m net and I'm met with some guy blowing into a microphone, banging it on a desk and then playing music. This has become more and more frequent over the last year. Between dealing with local noise, crappy band conditions and the yahoo's that clearly have some sort of mental illness I'm just loosing my interest. DMR seems more civilized.

Trucker700

It could be a disgruntled, former member of the net you participate in.
I have seen this happen on a couple of traders nets I listen to. The guys that ramrod all three of the nets ( different days and different frequencies) apparently upset a particular individual over a listing he tried to make. So, for several months he would show up and make all kinds of noise during the nets.
Someone finally ID'd him and he finally went away.
Just childish behavior.
James
WD5GWY

K6GBW

God...I think Notarubicon is funny but that whole Sad Ham thing is kinda silly. I think you are absolutely right about the anonymity thing. I guess when you live in a country as free as the US of A you're going to have a certian number of morons. Still, is it bad that I wish a chunk of frozen urine would fall off of a plane, crash through their roof and injure them just enough that they can't key up a mic? Does that make me a bad person?

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Amateur radio is really not what I expected it to be, as compared to the 1960s and 1970s. Some have found havens where they reside and some of us do not or rarely turn on their gear these days.

Narcissists about in liberal Western cultures now. Everyone has rights, but not responsibilities.

K3YGX

Only a sad person would call any group like hams sad -- trying to inflict your sadness on the rest or us
NON SAD hams -- knock it off --- who made you judge anyway???
Must be something missing in your life to call everyone else sad huh?

TAC4

I agree with the OP it is becoming more and more like the
wild west. There is one frequency on the 40 m band and
is sounds exactly like the chicken band with people playing
music, walking all over each other lol and "Joe" is the biggest
***t disturber on the band.

He is famous but for all of the wrong reasons. Anyone acting
like that is a complete waste of ones precious time and
for the radios sake, electrons. It is not the hobbies fault it
is the way we are moving as a society. When was the last
time someone let you in when you are trying to merge on
the highway ? Like Rodney Dangerfield said "No respect".

In fact the high powered CBers in the Superbowl channel 6
show more respect for each other because the name of
the game is to key down on each other intentionally
as it is competition so there are following the rules.
Not all but some hams are not.

Last edited:

nokones

Premium Subscriber
I agree with the OP it is becoming more and more like the
wild west. There is one frequency on the 40 m band and
is sounds exactly like the chicken band with people playing
music, walking all over each other lol and "Joe" is the biggest
***t disturber on the band.

He is famous but for all of the wrong reasons. Anyone acting
like that is a complete waste of ones precious time and
for the radio sake, electrons. It is not the hobbies fault it
is the way we are moving as a society. When was the last
time someone let you in when you are trying to merge on
the highway ? Like Ronnie Dangerfield said "No respect".

In fact the high powered CBers in the Superbowl channel 6
show more respect for each other because the name of
the game is to key down on each other intentionally
as it is competition so there are following the rules.
Not all but some hams are not.
Ronnie? Wasn't that Rodney, "No Respect"

Boombox

Amateur radio is really not what I expected it to be, as compared to the 1960s and 1970s. Some have found havens where they reside and some of us do not or rarely turn on their gear these days.

Narcissists about in liberal Western cultures now. Everyone has rights, but not responsibilities.
Not that many LIDs in the CW sections of the bands, at least none that I've heard. You get a few sloppy senders here and there -- that's about as extreme as it gets. And heck, at least they're on the air, trying to get contacts and improve their CW.

I've heard the frequency on 40, and sometimes there is a frequency on 80 where it's a bit noisy. There used to be one on 20 in 2012-2014 or so where it was like a radio war, a regular vendetta. Haven't heard that on 20 in a while, though. Although I suppose if there is that kind of thing happening somewhere back East the signals might not be reaching me here in the PNW. Still, haven't heard any trash talking on 20.

slowmover

Dissuade & Discourage Radio Use

This is the single effective hypothesis which yields insights based on observations.

AM-19 27.185 is so overwhelmed by paid bad actors as to render it un-usable to the sentiments of those who most benefit (the traveler, not just truck drivers). Once one listens with a new set of ears he will hear confirmation.

I’ve heard it more than once that all-day radio presence with overpowered or distorting gear sure beats working for a living. SSI/Disability, plus online discount codes and payments towards overhead (Cell & Net).