HF Conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ermin

I have a Icom IC7100. I am using a 75 foot wire for receive in Southwest Jacksonville Florida.
My question is on HF all of the HF bands are quiet from around 12PM to around 6PM.
My question is are the HF bands quiet or is my radio deaf? It works great on VHF and UHF.
Ed KE4BMR

prcguy

I sometimes check into a 4pm 40m net from So Cal and yesterday I was running 10 watts getting around CA, AZ and NM. Most people on the net were listening on a remote SDR. A friend of mine gets on 17 and 20m with a portable setup most days between 12 noon and maybe 2pm and makes a lot of contacts. Some days conditions are not bad and others its a challenge, but overall things seem to be improving.

I have a Icom IC7100. I am using a 75 foot wire for receive in Southwest Jacksonville Florida.
My question is on HF all of the HF bands are quiet from around 12PM to around 6PM.
My question is are the HF bands quiet or is my radio deaf? It works great on VHF and UHF.
Ed KE4BMR

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
To test your receiver see if you can catch any of the WWV broadcasts: 5mhz, 10mhz, 15mhz and 20mhz. AM

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You wouldn't go below 10 Mhz during the day - 5 mhz only works at night. And 20 Mhz just might not be propagating all that well. I'd check just 10 and 15 Mhz. Also see if 14670 CHU is up and running....Mike

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Depends where you are and on conditions. At times, conditions have been bad enough to allow openings below 10mhz.

ermin

Ok. WWV and CHU quiet right now (1453 hours EST in Northeast Florida. Looks like my 7100 is mostly deaf on HF. At least V/U hf works great.
Thank you for your time
Ed

ermin

Ok. I am listening on 12.050 which is coming in very strong. My IC7100 must be working ok and it is just my antenna setup.
Thank you everyone
Ed

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
Ed KE4BMR

You should hear local traffic (Southeast US for your location) during the day on 40 meters and longer propagation at night. 17 and 20 meters should also have lots of stations during the day. It is rare for me to never hear a thing on 40. Are you dealing with local noise?

ermin

You should hear local traffic (Southeast US for your location) during the day on 40 meters and longer propagation at night. 17 and 20 meters should also have lots of stations during the day. It is rare for me to never hear a thing on 40. Are you dealing with local noise?

No local noise. Just a very poor receiving antenna. Several Spanish shortwave stations coming in strong.
Thank you
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.