HF contest question

Status
Not open for further replies.

B5496RR

Hello,

I have a question related to HF contests. DX and non-DX contacts. Some contests or operators ask for a progressive serial number starting at 001. If I'm not participating in the contest to score points but only to make contacts to other operators and assist them in making more contacts can I simply just start with 001, then 002, 003 etc? Is this the correct practice to use? Can I give a serial number if I'm truly not participating in the contest to earn points for myself, I want to make sure I'm not wasting the other operators time. Do I have to log these contacts online so that the other operator has proof of our contact?

Thanks,
Ray

N0IU

If a station is calling "CQ CONTEST", then do not under any circumstances answer them unless you plan on giving them the proper exchange. Of course this means that you know what contest is taking place and what the exchange is. The easiest way to find out what contest is taking place and the basic rules for that contest is here: WA7BNM Contest Calendar: 8-Day Calendar.

You don't have to submit your log to the contest sponsor, but you could.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
If the stations is busy working lots of contacts, make sure you understand what the required information exchange is, for that particular contact. If a serial number is required, than 1 is the first one, and add them after that. The important aspect of that is to not duplicate serial numbers. But not all contests require that. Know the rules of the contest before you jump in.

If the station is not busy, and you're not sure, you could ask what the required exchange is, and then give the other operator what he needs, but don't do that to a busy station. He may lose 10 contacts while trying to pick up your one, and that's not kosher to make them do that. Someone working a contest during a lull is more likely to take a minute to explain what the contest is, so he can collect an extra contact.

As stated, you don't have to submit a log for the contact to count for the other station. The important thing top remember about the contests is that each one of them requires a specific piece of information to exchange. That could be grid square, ARRL section, serial number, state, 10-10 number, etc. It varies by specific contest. The contact is not valid unless that information is exchanged both ways.

peterwo2e

Contest is great to increase your country totals etc. for QSL purposes i could work easy about 90 new countries in hf contest just in that weekend. The answer to your question is yes if a serial number is part of the exchange then you start with 001 002 etc. lots of contest last the entire weekend. Is really fun. Especially CW you could really pick up speed during this contest.

B5496RR

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate everyone taking the time to answer my questions and provide some useful tips.

Best Regards,
Ray

ab3ai

If I partisapate in a contest to what ever degree I always send my log in. I think it is good pratice to do so even if it is a check log. Contesters get points and multipliers for thier contacts. If a station works you in a contest, they should be able to claim your contact towards thier total points and can not do so unless you submit a log. As stated before, you don't have to submit a log. It is good practice in my book. I had some free time this weekend and made about 25 contacts in WPX RTTY contest. I used consecutive serial numbers and will submit a log. It is best to know the exchange before hand. There have been times I wanted to work a station in a contest. I found out the exchange using the link above, worked the station and submited a log. It was kindda funny to see me at the bottom of the list with only one Q.

AgentCOPP1

Just as a related question, isn't it "rude" to respond to a contester and not turn in your log? Seems to me like you're just wasting their time.

Status
Not open for further replies.