Software HF Data Decoding Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scan125

I'm looking for peoples experiences with HF data decoding software.

I'm happy to purchase ( looked at HamRadioDelux but does not support my Alinco DX-R8) and have seen some of the free options available.

I also have an SDRplay RSPduo.

So in reality I'm looking for data decoding solutions that can be receiver independent.

These solutions could be software/sound card based OR dedicated hardware decoders.

Finally I'm looking at "general overall coverage of data modes" as opposed to any one specific data mode.

So hit me with your personal choices and why?

Thanks in advance.

n2nov

Just look at what datamodes that you want to receive and what is listed for each software package. Personally, I use the FLdigi programs since 2011. If you want a radio interface, there is FLrig. Check out the suite of programs at W1HKJ Software

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There are a great many other modes that FLdigi simply won't handle. Things like DSC, HFDL, ALE...there is unfortunately a great many modes we will never ever uncover, but there's still quite a bit that you will. You can start by reading this from our Digital Decoding FAQ

and follow the link at the very bottom of the article to the HF Software Decoders article. This lists practically everything (non ham related, mostly) that can handle digital stuff. But be warned - it ranges from the free to the super-expensive. If you have a heart condition, make sure you have taken your meds first (heh)

A lot of folks use MultiPSK for its numerous modes, but the interface it uses is absolutely horrid. If you find yourself leaning toward one kind of topic - say Aero - there are better packages out there for this. The above document talks about this.

And of course, I would be remiss if I didn't highly recommend joining the Utility DXers Forum (UDXF) at groups.io. There's lots of digital reported there every month - in fact, just for one single mode (2g ALE) there are almost always hundreds of logs alone.

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Stuff I couldn't get to at work...if you want fixed targets to test your setup, try these...(assuming the propagation gods are kind to you in the UK)

And since you have an SDRPlay, these should be on your check out list as well

The Facebook group is extremely active....Mike

Scan125

Thanks for the great feedback/responses.

I'll be spending some time going through the responses and links. Actually started today but got drawn off by a house alarm failure requiring me to delve into the system. Turned out to be a radio/RF module failure due to a leaking sealed lead acid battery dripping over the RX modual.

Needless to say, yet again, my HF data decoding quest is being pushed further down the queue :)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
OUCH! Be careful with that acid. Not so 'sealed' is it? Hopefully it won't set you back too many quid.

Be sure to join both the UDXF reflector and the SDRPlay Facebook group. Both are very active and you will get a wealth of opinions there regarding digital and what software folks use. There is even an active Facebook group for MultiPSK - if you need it take a look here in section 9.1, where it talks about software....

Mike

Scan125

OUCH! Be careful with that acid. Not so 'sealed' is it? Hopefully it won't set you back too many quid.

Be sure to join both the UDXF reflector and the SDRPlay Facebook group. Both are very active and you will get a wealth of opinions there regarding digital and what software folks use. There is even an active Facebook group for MultiPSK - if you need it take a look here in section 9.1, where it talks about software....

Mike

Looks like £110 (UK pounds). New Unit (same make) not as good as my old one (discontinued) but supports all my door/window/IR detectors and my external alarm module. New unit will arrive by Friday so I'll have to spend some time programming it to accept all my existing wireless devices. Not quite the radio work I was expecting/wanting to undertake :)

air-scan

I like Android.
What I do is tailor my digital decoding to what is available for Android devices in both payware and freeware markets. I decided to decode SSTV (Robot36 for Android) MFSK32/64 (TIVAR for Android port of FLDigi) RTTY (DroidRTTY for Android by Wolphi) PSK (DroidPSK for Android by Wolphi).

Status
Not open for further replies.