HF Intelligence

Status
Not open for further replies.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
FWIW my AVAST Anti-Virus blocked a "DeanEdwards" Trojan Horse from downloading when I accessed the site. Always possible this is a false-positive, but not willing to take a chance.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
In all honesty this is my first experience with AVAST (pre-installed on a new machine), so I'm not confident the site is infected. I'll fire off an email to AVAST customer support and see what they have to say.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
Very interesting (without the German accent!) I visited the sight again and saw the AVAST warning pop-up and then disappear. I tried to take a screen shot but the warning was gone too soon. The third time I accessed the site the warning did NOT appear, possibly due to having visited it after the warning?
In any event I no longer get the Trojan Horse warning, so I guess all is o.k.
Thanks for the input.

John

w2xq

Mentor
To the question of who/what is "hfintelligence.com" I have always been suspicious of those sites that hide identities. Running a traceroute and a whois only shows servers in Provo, UT, but no discernible owner. The host name apparently is "BlueHost, Inc" for whatever that is worth. Not for me... I'm outa here.

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
I used Avast for several years, and had few if any problems with false positives. Recently the problem with the software is not detecting real threats, and I no longer use Avast for that reason. I would steer clear unless you want to get your PC professionally scrubbed thanks to Avast.

SCPD

QRT
To the question of who/what is "hfintelligence.com" I have always been suspicious of those sites that hide identities. Running a traceroute and a whois only shows servers in Provo, UT, but no discernible owner. The host name apparently is "BlueHost, Inc" for whatever that is worth. Not for me... I'm outa here.

You didn't look close enough... :)

ComintConsulting.com - Comint Consulting | Increase Your Intelligence/Sigint Business With Us

But this is more interesting if factual. I don't know how accurate the data is...

Comint Consulting, Christiansted, VI | Credibility Review -- Dun & Bradstreet Credibility Corp

n2nov

It has been said that their info is culled form the UDXF mailing list and Al Stern's various lists. You need to sign up with them to read any articles and frequency lists.

n2nov

w2xq

Mentor
Thanks. The ARIN Whois accessed by VisualRoute (my traceroute of choice) doesn't show the ComintConsulting ownership. Interesting that it shows a VI address. But after looking at the info from nickcarr and n2nov, it doesn't change my opinion. Not for me.

OHIOSCAN

HF Intel

It has been said that their info is culled form the UDXF mailing list and Al Stern's various lists. You need to sign up with them to read any articles and frequency lists.

Geez a website profittng from people posting frequencies for free with premium access, shocked (gr).

Sorry I couldn't help it.

Mike

Token

If you go into the Starchat IRC channel #wunclub you will notice the topic includes "All logs provided for non-commercial use only". This line was added (I do not know who added it, 'twas not I) a while back to the topic specifically because of issues like this. In more than one case a log has been taken from the #wunclub and used word-for-word by a commercial site, with no acknowledgement to the original logger. Everyone compiles data from multiple sources in a field like this, for additional information if not direct use, but financially benefiting from someone else directly without even acknowledging the other parties input is a tad Ricardo’ish, in my opinion.

T!

Status
Not open for further replies.