HF radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

ab3a

I have an Icom R-70 from the early 1980s.. It has a recording jack on the front panel. It's not a bad radio for SSB-ish things, especially if you have all the crystal filters installed, but the distorted audio in AM mode is a sad joke.

wb6uqa

Most newer radios have a squelch .I have a Icom 706M2G and pro 2 both have a squelch. I also have a Kenwood 590S and a Ten Tec Eagle they have a squelch too.

k9rzz

I've been recording audio off the radio for years (reel to reel, cassette, tower PC, laptop) and recently have been using, of all things, a GoPro! I run audio from the recording jack on the back of the Icom R75 through an official GoPro microphone input cable (a cheap second market cable did not work) on my 3+. Works great! I can still use the speaker on the R75, or external speaker, AND I get great recorded audio without shack noise. Love it.

majoco

Stirrer
Yes, but Radioshane still hasn't got his head around the idea that squelch does not work very well on HF. I have squelch on my Kenwood R2000 and it's hopeless. If I set the squelch so that it is just squelched on background noise,it will lift on lightning crashes, interference and on signals but once it's lifted it won't drop out again, hysteresis designed in I guess. If I set it a bit higher it will only lift on very strong signals. In the end I used a programme called "Ripvynil" which is designed to save recorded music - it recognises the gaps between the tunes and makes them into individual tracks - but it's still very finicky.

radioshane

K9RZZ is there any cable that you know that works with the alnico ?
regarding the squelch most days it works fine on HF
some days there is a lot of static but not often
I mean it does have squelch on sideband but most old sets don't work at all on sideband most yaeusu sets and also a kenwood trio 1000
is there any old radios all that work on sideband
K9RZZ what cable did you you use when you used the cassette recording

radioshane

WB6UQA I know new radios are mint in that they have squelch but they don't put a recording jack on anymore
is there any way you know how rig a cable up to the back of a modern radio?

k9rzz

I used whatever cable / connectors worked with the gear I was using at the time. Phono, 1/4inch, 1/2 inch. It varies. Never owned Alinco. What model? Squelch on HF? Except for the CB in your truck, forget it. Just get used to the noise and learn to ignore what you don't want to hear and focus on what you want to hear. That sounds like a flippant answer, but it's reality. Like talking to someone in a crowded room, you just ignore the background noise.

ridgescan

Squelch will serve in SSB on my r71a, but only effectively with signals 3-4 s units over noise floor. Squelch on the r75? No way on HF-only for VHFlo stuff like CHP if I happen to use the r75 to scan there.
For both radios, I do the following to minimize noise floor while allowing desired voice to punch through: reduce gain just enough to match noise floor level; enable noise filter (hash) and noise blanker (pops and buzzing) then increase volume. This gives more tolerable background noise while clearing the way for maximum voice.
In other words, what majoco and k9rzz said about the uselessness of squelch in HF I agree totally with.
It only serves well if your intended target in SSB will give a strong signal of say s9 or better and you couldn't care less to hear anyone weaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.