HFD upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

himages

Aloha All.....I want to have a discussion here with those who have a sds100 or bcd436 or other similar radios that are actually receiving Hon Fire tones, dispatches, active channels, etc. I once owned a harris p7100ip....it was a great rcv radio.....could hear HPD, EMS, HFD, Ocean Safety......but, it died. So....I ended buying a p7200 harris and the seller programmed it for me...however, I do NOT receive HFD totally! an online tech told me that per a note on RR, there is a possible upgrade to EMS site, but they do NOT say anything about HFD......So my concern is, those with the SDS or BCD or other rigs that are similar, do YOU guys still HEAR HFD dispatches or nope, nadas......? I am about to spend some $$$ on either SDS or BCD and if HFD is still operating on provoice, then I may just save my money and send the harris to the ebay tech who offered to check and reprogram it.

kca6720

I have a 436, 536 plus the PSR800/Pro668. Using a yagi on a 536 from central oahu, I was able to pick up the simulcast site. A few weeks ago, i lost that ability. Not sure why but my antenna and 536 seem to be ok. When i checked the RR forum, a user mentioned that EMS had switched the the P25 system. I also noticed that on EMS calls, they assigned a tac channel like HFD does. I got my Pro 668 and started monitoring the P25 system. It seems that they are simulcasting/patching the two systems for EMS. That bad part is that on the P25 side, it is showing up as encrypted. It does show the TG info and it seems that TG 2400 is EMS dispatch, get the busy tone on the 668.

I use a 436 in my car and lately it has been having intermittent reception issues. Although it still picks up HPD and HFD. It seems for EMS, sometimes they patch and sometime they don't. The P25 system seems to be pretty active now.

Today, Saturday 7/25 HFD did a radio test on the EDACS system to "P25 pack radios" so it seems that HFD has started switching equipment over.

Wish they wouldn't go encrypted at least for dispatch.

himages

howzit! by chance, your name is not david huh? he's a ham operator but he is also a radio person. ok....so you dont HAVE an SDS100....does the 436 pick up HFD...at least for dispatch, I really dont care much for "working channels" but if I can receive it, fine. You got a yagi? brace it down today now....researching INIKI and IWA, one of them was a cat. 1 and yet.....holy cow! it was powerful!!! yeah...and ebayer helped me out too...showing me probably the same forum, but they didnt mention HFD. Some online scanner companies are vouching for the SDS one, because of the simulcast issue, but I say it differs from town to town.....mainland may be different compared to local. So HFD DID say "pack 25 radios".....hmmm, yeah....maybe thats true then. Was it you or someone on the forum mentioned that in the future, we wont be able to listen to any public svc freqs. Just saw your pro 668...hmmm, wonder if I should get this instead of the SDS and 436 for FIRE and just listen to HPD on my harris p7200....??

kca6720

The 436 and the 586 work for HPD and HFD. It works for EMS when they patch or simulcast to the EDACS system. I would think the SDS series would work too. As far as I know, the GRE/RS and Whistler series do not do ProVoice so you cant listen directly from the radio. For my PSR800 and Pro 668, I use DSD on a Windows netbook to decode the audio. I have been using that solution for about 8-9 years now. Not sure if there is a setting on DSD/PSR but you don't hear the analog call out tones. Before the 436, I actually had a netbook mounted in my car connected to a PSR800. (I had a one way commute of 45 minutes) Before that i had a BC 245 listening to all public service talk groups. You would hear an occasional analog conversation and all of HFD call out tones. Once in a while, HFD would dispatch in analog.

I looked at buying a GE/Harris radio online a while back but it was pricey and was unsure about the programming. I think you current radio should work fro HFD, it is just a programming issue. They may have changed frequencies or changed power levels on some sites. That is my guess on why i can't pick up the simulcast site anymore. The control channel is really weak now even with the yagi.

Note that the ProVoice is an option on the 436 and 536. I think it is about $50. Not sure on the SDS. I would think twice about getting a new radio if they continue to go P25 encrypted.

No, I am not David. Are you talking about the David that runs the AH7E site. That is where i get my frequencies from. For the Puu Mana site, i think his info is more accurate that RR.

JKRHawaii

Aloha All.....I want to have a discussion here with those who have a sds100 or bcd436 or other similar radios that are actually receiving Hon Fire tones, dispatches, active channels, etc. I once owned a harris p7100ip....it was a great rcv radio.....could hear HPD, EMS, HFD, Ocean Safety......but, it died. So....I ended buying a p7200 harris and the seller programmed it for me...however, I do NOT receive HFD totally! an online tech told me that per a note on RR, there is a possible upgrade to EMS site, but they do NOT say anything about HFD......So my concern is, those with the SDS or BCD or other rigs that are similar, do YOU guys still HEAR HFD dispatches or nope, nadas......? I am about to spend some $$$ on either SDS or BCD and if HFD is still operating on provoice, then I may just save my money and send the harris to the ebay tech who offered to check and reprogram it.
Honolulu City and County public safety agencies are migrating to a P-25 system which is encrypted. I do not know of any current scanners that can access and listen to the new system because of the technology being used. I believe it is only a matter of time before Honolulu public safety agencies migrate and ability to monitor will be restricted.

himages

The 436 and the 586 work for HPD and HFD. It works for EMS when they patch or simulcast to the EDACS system. I would think the SDS series would work too. As far as I know, the GRE/RS and Whistler series do not do ProVoice so you cant listen directly from the radio. For my PSR800 and Pro 668, I use DSD on a Windows netbook to decode the audio. I have been using that solution for about 8-9 years now. Not sure if there is a setting on DSD/PSR but you don't hear the analog call out tones. Before the 436, I actually had a netbook mounted in my car connected to a PSR800. (I had a one way commute of 45 minutes) Before that i had a BC 245 listening to all public service talk groups. You would hear an occasional analog conversation and all of HFD call out tones. Once in a while, HFD would dispatch in analog.

I looked at buying a GE/Harris radio online a while back but it was pricey and was unsure about the programming. I think you current radio should work fro HFD, it is just a programming issue. They may have changed frequencies or changed power levels on some sites. That is my guess on why i can't pick up the simulcast site anymore. The control channel is really weak now even with the yagi.

Note that the ProVoice is an option on the 436 and 536. I think it is about $50. Not sure on the SDS. I would think twice about getting a new radio if they continue to go P25 encrypted.

No, I am not David. Are you talking about the David that runs the AH7E site. That is where i get my frequencies from. For the Puu Mana site, i think his info is more accurate that RR.
YEP! Dont wanna disclose his full name but hes been a long time ham operator and cool guy.....didnt know he got married thou. I used to own a m/a com p7100ip and the ebay owner did program it well...so I would get active HFD, HPD, EMS, Ocean Safety and maybe a little of HPD services. NOW....after my 7100 died, I bought a 7200 and the ebay seller programmed it for me.....however, chatting with another different ebay programmer, they claimed that its probably NOT programmed properly. IF I found a reliable guru from ebay or so who CAN re-program my harris 7200 so I can get HFD back on, I would NOT buy the 436 or sds100....I would be a happy camper! as I read your comment......SEE! if you now can NOT pick up HFD even on their simulcast, why should I spend the $$$$ on listening??? if city goes TOTALLY P25 ENCRYPTED, you would probably see me selling ALL my gear, scanners etc.... There's a Harris website that does repairs to radios but I dont know if I should take a chance and send the radio to them.....whats wrong with it? DOA....wont turn on even with fresh batt. This past saturday, I was hanging out at Kapalama Center at Chuckie Cheese in the evening....all of a sudden I see HFD station 31 crew going for a beverage break. Coming back....I hear their radios go off on a dispatch........man! I felt so sad and miss those tones..........

himages

Honolulu City and County public safety agencies are migrating to a P-25 system which is encrypted. I do not know of any current scanners that can access and listen to the new system because of the technology being used. I believe it is only a matter of time before Honolulu public safety agencies migrate and ability to monitor will be restricted.
if so.....guess what this RR member will do...........sell as much gear I got......even if I represent media (fyi...publication I shoot for does not utilize scanners).....I cant do anything.

himages

I dont know but there IS a test (courtesy of hfd) that happens at 8am hst.....they always conduct a test and acknoledge the battalion chiefs on duty and the dispatchers. I just resetted my 100 due to that my battery was low and the radio was buggy. I will bookmark this conversation site and get back with you to see if HFD did indeed "move on"......but I got 2 more weeks to see how I like the sds100....the ONLY thing I HATE about this radio is the battery charging system....instead of 2 to 3 hrs, it takes 8 hrs???? i was hunting on youtube to see if i found any "happy campers" out there who absolutely love their 436s.....at LEAST it runs on 3 AAs rechargeable or alkaline!

wh6diq

HFD is no longer on the old EDACS system...dispatch is silent. I have heard only a couple tx on tac channels this week, without response from dispatch. Also have not heard anyone, HFD Air or Ocean Safety, on the interops channel for several days.

I'm guessing this means HPD will also make the transition, probably by this summer.

himages

Last night in Kalihi.....with the nasty rain and wind, our community power went out after midnight....I had my sds100 tuned into HPD and it scared me cuz there was absolutely NO transmissions on ALL freqs!!! I thought either the power knocked out HPDs dispatch or they chose midnight to "make the big switcheroo"

himages

sometime last night I heard HPD dist 5 kalihi dispatching units to a possible bldg fire nearby Waiakamilo Rd by Ifuku Radiator.....turned out to be overcooked food. I wish the City or at least the mayor's office can send a press release stating an "upgrade to EMS and Hon Fire Dept" so that folks know how the city is spending taxpayers $$$$$$$$$$$$

daflynhawn

Trying to get my Whistler TX-1 to pickup transmissions from a HPD, HFD, EMS and WS without success. Need to figure this radio out!

WD433

Feed Provider
Feed Provider
Trying to get my Whistler TX-1 to pickup transmissions from a HPD, HFD, EMS and WS without success. Need to figure this radio out!

Can help out with that.

Yeah, the TRX-1 programming and setup is a bit of a trick to make it work seamlessly and also decode the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.