HH 2 meter with trunk scan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbsar

Premium Subscriber
Hello, new into amateur radio and researching my first transceiver. I want a hand held unit and was wondering if any such unit also had the ability to monitor trunked 800 Motorola and EDACS systems? I don't think so but figured I'd ask.

Thanks

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yeah, someone who puts a 4 (6/2/220/440) bander together with the scanning capabilities of the XT or GRE radios are going to have a lot of people banging on the door.

Unfortunately it hasn't happened yet. Uniden, are you listening? 73 Mike

N

N_Jay

"Yeah, someone who puts a XYZ together with the 123capabilities of DEF are going to have a lot of people banging on the door."

Says that marketing guy to the product manager. ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marketing guy think >> Product with A+B must equal market size SUM (A and B)

Product Manger knowledge >> Product with A+B usually equal market size INTERSECTION (A and B)

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
Well, at least if I pass the Technician's test soon, and can afford a HH2 meter transceiver, I do have a scanner that I can listen to the other stuff on! Might have to sell the scanner to get the transceiver!

N8IAA

Well, at least if I pass the Technician's test soon, and can afford a HH2 meter transceiver, I do have a scanner that I can listen to the other stuff on! Might have to sell the scanner to get the transceiver!

Icom has a new 2m ht for $99. You can still keep the scanner:)
Larry

stevelton

While this radio does not truck track, it does have a very wide scanning range.

The Yaesu FT60R dual band HT can scan analog FM up to the 800 and some 900 mhz I think.

Several dual band HT have a wide tuning range, but they just do trunk track.

It would be nice though, maybe something that can have the optional board for NXDN or P25, or DStar

~~~Day dreaming~~~

Steven

Markb

Premium Subscriber
A dual band HT (and mobile) that could trunktrack???? With P25?????

That would be the bee's knee's :lol:

RadioDaze

A trunk-tracking Yaesu FT60R...

That would be the bee's knees even without P25.

P25 would be like putting the cat's pajamas on those knees.

It'd be a lot more fun than the one I rigged using duct tape, a PSR-500 and an FT-60R.

stevelton

A trunk-tracking Yaesu FT60R...

That would be the bee's knees even without P25.

P25 would be like putting the cat's pajamas on those knees.

It'd be a lot more fun than the one I rigged using duct tape, a PSR-500 and an FT-60R.

Can we say Ham Sexy?!

MODs, we need a forum next to the "Picture of you Mobile Shack" forum for "Belt or Portable shacks."

I have 6 HTs that I can put on my duty belt, and give tips to others who would want ideas to do the same, but maybe with a pink duty belt!

Steven

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
By all means NO, if that's what you want you already told them where to find all the whackers they would ever care to laugh at. Now don't come back and tell me you were being sarcastic, you're looking at the king of sarcasm here. (;->)

Getting back to reality, an HT must be the worst starter rig there is due to its limitations even when connected to an outdoor antenna. Don't get me wrong, they're useful but only as portables under limited circumstances so one may be considered based on need, IF you have such a need and most of us don't. Starting out with one only leads to disappointment and wasted money leading to one dropping out of the hobby, don't be one of those. Oh and don't sell a perfectly good and useful scanner, save your pennies and when the jar is full go shopping. (Mother Superior jumped the gun, Mother superior has no fun. Happiness is a warm radio, mama.)

steveh552

I have had HT's since the start of my ham career (using that word losely) and have no complaints, if I want to listen to my local pub safety. I use it more as a scanner than a 2way radio. The 2m repeater here is dead, with a mobile or outside antenna I can hear and sometimes talk into a repeater about 45 miles away on 5watts. I am bummed with VHF and finally decided to upgrade as soon as I can get a test. I suggest the OP look at upgrading and moving towards the HF side, there is a whole world out there to talk to.

If money is what is keeping the OP to an HT and he wants more of a radio, look at his: Yaesu FT-1900R, Yaesu FT1900R Mobile Transceiver

If you really just want an HT, this is a great starter radio for 2m only, and it is very rugged, I have one very similar: Yaesu FT-250R HT, Yaesu FT250

RadioDaze

I've completed the latest mod. I reasoned that it's most important to have access to the belt clips and battery covers.

Did I use a good enough adhesive? The hardware store guy told me that I can separate them easily if I need to .

Attachments

• jb.jpg
    jb.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 972

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Very nice job. You can't even see the JB Weld oozing out of the sides. One of the better jobs that I've seen. Most are just sloppy looking.

I do wish that Motorola would market a dual-band radio to the amateur community that would have 800 MHz receive-only trunking capabilities. I'd drop some dough on it. It would have to be ruggedized and waterproof. SPS (Scanner Programming Software) would be a must!

They could offer Flash Upgrades for those that want them either when they buy it or when they want to upgrade.

Base cost: $399.00 - Includes standard VHF/UHF amateur functions and 700/800 SmartZone receive only.
IMBE Digital - Add $100.00
P25 9600 Baud Trunking - Add $100.00
SPS (including USB programming cable) - $150.00
OBT (VHF/UHF Trunking) - Add $100.00

Or something like that. Get a nice radio, fully loaded with all options for around $850. I'd do it.

One can dream I guess.

I've completed the latest mod. I reasoned that it's most important to have access to the belt clips and battery covers.

Did I use a good enough adhesive? The hardware store guy told me that I can separate them easily if I need to .

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Hey RadioDaze, That is pure genius! I'm going to Home Depot first thing tomorrow:lol:

As far as Moto goes. I think there's not a snowball's chance in he11 they would ever market anything to the ham community. They are all about the big bucks and there's probably not enough money in it for them. Plus, it's an extra way to screw the little guy.
The ham radio manufacturers are already part of the way there......well, so is Moto, I guess. I just think that if there ever was a chance of this happening, it would more likely be thru a ham radio manufacturer.

D

DaveNF2G

As far as Moto goes. I think there's not a snowball's chance in he11 they would ever market anything to the ham community.

Hmm. I used to own a 40-channel Motorola CB. It was white, with a classic Moto microphone, also white.

JPSan

I want to say back in the 70's when I got my ticket, MOTOROLA briefly entered the amateur radio market with a 2 meter crystal controlled radio radio. It was not around for a long time...AES I am sure carried it. It was advertised in long gone Wayne Green magazine, 73. The radio had a slant font, under dash type radio.
I got to GOOGLE this to see if I can find out what it was called and it's exact date of release, IT did not have a long life span...

Here is a picture of the Motorola 2 meter mobile...can't remember what it was called...From a hamfest back in the 70's...HT in background was a HT -200..brick..VHF

Attachments

• agj.sized.jpg
    agj.sized.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 809
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.