Hi All - New to Boards and Scanners - PLEASE HELP...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamieneathuk

I know that everyones circumstances are different, but I am new to all this scanning. I would like to buy a scanner to listen to my local (I live in Neath, South Wales - UK) fire brigade, ambulance service, Air, CB , taxi's and shopshare? shemes. I haven't got a lot of money to buy one. Would anyone be kind enough as to recommend some please? (and where to purchase them from) I would like to start with an ' Home base scanner', What kind of antenna would you recommend too please. 'I live in an urban area, with quite a lot of mountains around me). I would like to have a scanner with AM, FM, NFM and WFM (if possible) and side bands? (what are side bands? - I have just heard that someone has them on theirs).

Sorry for ranting on! I'd appreciate ALL advice, please could explain you explain it to me in 'amature style?' Thank you.

P.s I was on the CB years ago, (I'd love to return to that and all, one day - Wife permitting Lol). But i have forgotten all the lingo for that too.

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
You might also want to check into the UK discussion group near the bottom of the forum page. Someone in the UK might be able to give you first hand information and guidance on what would work for you in your location there. You might even run across someone close to you that shares the hobby. Welcome, and hope you find the site very useful.

jamieneathuk

KT4HX - Thanks for that. I have had a loo near the bottom - but i can't seem to find the UK discussion group that you mentioned.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Jamie and all,

Being unfamiliar with scanning in the UK I can't advise you with that but why bother with Children's Band when it's easy enough to get an Amateur Radio license? It's even easier in the UK than here and you can do SO much more with it. Hey, with the exception of CW abbreviations and prosigns we don't speak some funny lingo, we speak plain English. For that matter since it's become a sort of universal language pretty much everyone around the world does too, you'll have no trouble with international conversations.

If you're the least bit interested one of the most popular UK sites is http://www.southgatearc.org/ so you'll find lots of good stuff there.

jamieneathuk

Hi all, I have seen a scanner (home base) that i quite like the looks of... But, I can't find any info on it.. Such as - if it is a NFM and WFM scanner and what the frequencies are?

Does anyone anything about the following model please?

Realistic 20-412 Scanner

jamieneathuk

I am really struggling to find a scanner that will allow me to listen to my local fire brigade (70.95000 NFM In the UK) :-(

Is a NFM and WFM the same as an AM and FM?

Could someone also tell me what ' Sidebands ' are too please? I have heard this used so many times, when listening to CB's here in the UK.

Bill2k

If your scanner can receive FM, you will be able to hear NFM and WFM.

Here is a list of some uniden scanners which can receive 70.9500 NFM:
UBC-68XLT
UBC-180XLT
UBC-72XLT
UBC-3300XLT

Status
Not open for further replies.