Hi All PSR400 VS BCT15X

Status
Not open for further replies.

VegasMike

Premium Subscriber
Hi already have a PSR500, I'm now looking for a cheaper desktop base mobile model scanner and for the price I'm torn between the psr400 and the bct15x I live in vegas, I'm trying to find out which unit will provide me with the best overal coverage and features, I also have read that the psr400 doesnt support pc control, although the bct15x does, thanks and also if anyone knows any key features that one has the other doesn't please list thanks. Also info regarding rebanding would be wonderful.

SCPD

QRT
Well the BCT15X is designed for interstate mobile use. It covers 25-512 & 760-1240 MHz w/ great reception. One of the nice features is that for police and DOT coverage you don't have to program it. Simply select your state, press the POL & HP buttons to turn on frequencies in your area and trunked radio system For example the entire TRS system used by the NHP is in the radio. You can use the Freescan program to program in systems in your area if you want to monitor fire or other agencies. For $220 it is a very good package and I use mine in a base station for monitoring AIr & Local PD.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Psr400 vs. BCT15x

Hi already have a PSR500, I'm now looking for a cheaper desktop base mobile model scanner and for the price I'm torn between the psr400 and the bct15x I live in vegas, I'm trying to find out which unit will provide me with the best overal coverage and features, I also have read that the psr400 doesnt support pc control, although the bct15x does, thanks and also if anyone knows any key features that one has the other doesn't please list thanks. Also info regarding rebanding would be wonderful.

I have the BCT-15 not the x and also the Psr 500. Given the choice between the 400 and a 15x I'd go for the 15x. Alot can change depending on what you want to listen to, the GRE is front side sensitive and alot of stuff in Vegas you find you have to use ATT. The 15 does better for me on Mil Air and VHF air. Both the 400 and 15x should do great on trunked systems, both are a close equal but my two cents would pay the extra 40 bucks for the 15x. Don't forget you have to consider the antenna you feed the scanner with and results between the 400 and 15x may change. Too much antenna signal and the 400 will be overloaded and won't open squelch without some help like a band filter and ATT mode on. You let us know what you listen to and we can better advise between these two scanners. My next is a 15x or upgraded version of.
Hope this opinion helps you.

VegasMike

Premium Subscriber
I really enjoy listing to everything, if its out there I find it interesting, from room service on the strip to boulder city fire department those guys crack me up. I live in henderson, I can say that with the psr500 I get some static and popping while moving in a car, however when I stop moving the clarity is 10 fold, however I plan on taking this soon to be purchased unit and parking it in the house. I also think that computer control is important so I might consider going with the Uniden Model. The psr400 doesn't have on the fly controllability from what I've been reading.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Henderson

I really enjoy listing to everything, if its out there I find it interesting, from room service on the strip to boulder city fire department those guys crack me up. I live in henderson, I can say that with the psr500 I get some static and popping while moving in a car, however when I stop moving the clarity is 10 fold, however I plan on taking this soon to be purchased unit and parking it in the house. I also think that computer control is important so I might consider going with the Uniden Model. The psr400 doesn't have on the fly controllability from what I've been reading.

I'm also in Henderson check your private messages

TOUGHLIFE

I own four of the BC15x radios and love them. There is a lot of available memory, much more than what was in the original BC15. It's a rugged radio and is easily programmable with computer software.

VegasMike

Premium Subscriber
Can one find a standard usb cable somewhere to use for programming or is the usb port on the front a proprietary connection!

VegasMike

Premium Subscriber
Oh I didn't realize it was a db9 USB to Serial Emulator! I thought I could use the usb port on the front lol.

BCFlash

One other feature of the BCT-15 is the ability to use a remote control head, which may help with your mobile installation. The remote has a nice display and all the control buttons you really need, no speaker though.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
db-9 not

Oh I didn't realize it was a db9 USB to Serial Emulator! I thought I could use the usb port on the front lol.

You're right the db-9 is the back one, my mistake, the front is a weird mini connector hard to find, and back when I bought my bct15 I was looking all over Frys and other electronics stores for the connector. Not easy to find. Then you have to load drivers for the cord as well. My 2 cents buy the usb-1 for 30 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.