Hi from South Yorkshire

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakel

Hi all :)

Im new to all this about scanners so please be patient with me. Im wanting to buy a scanner as a hobby and listen to anything i can get. First of all what kind of scanner would you recommend but would like a good one nothing too cheap and secondly what aeriel would i need? id like one for on top of roof outside and one that will go miles out. Do different aerials pick up different things thanks in advance :)

majoco

Stirrer
First of all, you need to find out what is 'listenable' in your area.
ukradioscanning.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=57
Police UHF
scanuk.fr.yuku.com/reply/1816/FIRE-Brigades

and of course on this site...

RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference › United Kingdom › England

and then you need to see if they are encoded and/or trunked. Now you can start looking at scanners and determining what frequency range you need to cover on your antenna. IMHO I would get one of those el cheapo RTL dongles and get that going through your computer first - then you won't have blown your dough on something that was never going to work in the first place.

Fortunately most comms in this part of NZ are still in clear - the police seem to use cellphones for anything 'sensitive'!

Status
Not open for further replies.