Hi I have a which scanner is right for my neighbor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TedTobias

She wants a scanner that sr
taus on 24/7. That’s Reliable and picks up p25 simlcast and will hold up basically. She does not care what it cost reliability is more important her. I told her that they all have there quirks. shes looking for a scanner to stay in the know. Any suggestions? I told her the SDS 200 but she heard they have some with teething problems like the humming. I told her that’s cured. Any input would be great!

Thanks
Theodore

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
to what systems/counties/cities does she want to listen? if they're encrypted she'll be out of luck.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
taus on 24/7. That’s Reliable and picks up p25 simlcast and will hold up basically. She does not care what it cost reliability is more important her. I told her that they all have there quirks. shes looking for a scanner to stay in the know. Any suggestions? I told her the SDS 200 but she heard they have some with teething problems like the humming. I told her that’s cured. Any input would be great!

Thanks
Theodore
I would agree with either the SDS200, or the handheld SDS100. While there have been some issues reported, on both scanners, I think most of them have been resolved. Though the occasional unit might have some kind of concern, I think most of those (lately) are more isolated rather than being chronic on a high percentage of usits sold. I have an early production SDS100 as well as SDS200, I have not had the issues some have posted.

For your local trunked system, the Manatee-Sarasota Counties system, the sites in both counties are simulcast. So, unless your neighbor's house is in an optimal spot, she should look for a scanner that can handle simulcast systems.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Get the SDS200, spend some time with it and get to know it, and you will absolutely love it. But, to give it as a gift to someone who is not into scanners, you might have a situation where it's too much scanner for some beginners. It is definitely a lot of radio to throw at a rookie...just sayin

But then again, is this a favor for a neighbor that might generate phone calls (wink-wink) in your favor? If so, definitely suggest the Uniden SDS200 to her! Just sayin....

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
taus on 24/7. That’s Reliable and picks up p25 simlcast and will hold up basically. She does not care what it cost reliability is more important her.

I think the most "reliable problem free" scanner radio available today is Uniden's BCD996P2. Is it the best choice? Not always. There are numerous considerations. I've been unable to find any reference that the "hum" problem encountered in some SDS200's has been cured 100% out of the box from Uniden. That being said I own a SDS200 and I'm 100% satisfied with it.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I think the most "reliable problem free" scanner radio available today is Uniden's BCD996P2. Is it the best choice? Not always. There are numerous considerations. I've been unable to find any reference that the "hum" problem encountered in some SDS200's has been cured 100% out of the box from Uniden. That being said I own a SDS200 and I'm 100% satisfied with it.
While the 996P2 is a solid scanner, with few issues being reported, it's not a good choice for Simulcast areas, which applies to the OP & his neighbor. Unless the neighbor has 'won the simulcast lottery' as it has been referred to in other threads, the 996P2 is likely to fail on the closest simulcast sites.

I have not seen any "official" announcement that the hum issue has had a stake driven through it's heart, but I'm not seeing the multiple posts about the hum from recent purchasers of new SDS200's, like we were getting when the hum issue was first being discussed.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
While the 996P2 is a solid scanner, with few issues being reported, it's not a good choice for Simulcast areas, which applies to the OP & his neighbor. Unless the neighbor has 'won the simulcast lottery' as it has been referred to in other threads, the 996P2 is likely to fail on the closest simulcast sites.

I have not seen any "official" announcement that the hum issue has had a stake driven through it's heart, but I'm not seeing the multiple posts about the hum from recent purchasers of new SDS200's, like we were getting when the hum issue was first being discussed.

I agree 100%! My answer was based on her saying reliability is most important to her.

TedTobias

Hi thought I would drop in on this one since I programed her radio and we live in a full bore simulcast area. Not a problem. Maybe Jupiter is a alined with Mars. She loves the radio and I would say it is cell phone clear. May luck or location but it does work awesome. You all gave great advice. Maybe Uniden doing some of the new upgrades may have helped.

Thanks All! Gina is very happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.