Hickory system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd8x

Hello, I was wondering if any of you guys are actively monitoring the Hickory system? Is it still edacs?? I am not able to get anything out of them. I have only downloaded the primary freqs instead of the southwest set. I am using a gre 600. I may not be doing something right. I have really never listened to an edacs system....any help? thanks...

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
I have not read any comments to indicate that they were making any system changes.

There is mention on the Hickory trunked page on RadioReference that they were considering going to "Open Sky." The report was from the beginning of 2009. I looked over the news releases on both the Harris and the City of Hickory websites, and found no mention of a radio change.

Just in case, a common programming error with EDACS systems is not entering the frequencies according to their LCN (logical channel number) assignments. Usually, that means programming a particular frequency in a specific memory channel or system channel, or forgetting to enter the LCN next to the frequency.

( Note the small numbers next to the "system frequencies" in the Radio Reference database ... they are the LCN numbers for those frequencies )

pboy

Hello, I was wondering if any of you guys are actively monitoring the Hickory system? Is it still edacs?? I am not able to get anything out of them. I have only downloaded the primary freqs instead of the southwest set. I am using a gre 600. I may not be doing something right. I have really never listened to an edacs system....any help? thanks...

Hickory system is still standard EDACS.

Like Jeff has already explained all frequencies of the site have be put in the scanner and in the proper order as well.

Hickory is simple when it comes to the LCN assignments:

LCN 1 - 856.9375
LCN 2 - 857.9375
LCN 3 - 858.9375
LCN 4 - 859.9375
LCN 5 - 860.9375

The main site should be the only one you need. Southwest site is a fill in site for a small bad coverage area. It only carries the PD and not any of Public Works talkgroups.

There was word of a change in February but haven't heard anymore about it.

This past week a HFD VHF patch was activated on VIPER. HFD is not on the EDACS TRS but there is a patch likewise. County SO is patched also.

Last edited:

FireCop

Public Safety Grunt
Premium Subscriber
kd8x, guessing you are trying to monitor from your listed location, you may not be able to pick up the EDACS system on 800 frequencies. I am in Mooresville and have had very little success in the past when trying to monitor the system with EDACS capable trunking scanners and the info listed in the RR DB. I verified having all the info programmed in correctly. I just wasn't in close enough range. I wish you well in trying this. Let us know how it works out.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Enjoy the Hickory monitoring while you can guys.
From a very reliable source:

I know there was a thread on Hickory PD going Opensky a while back…….here’s the rest of the story: It’s actually going to be a P25 Harris system inside the city and Opensky outside

So the days of monitoring Hickory are numbered. Catawba County will be VIPER but Hickory will be Opensky.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Drafin

This may be the wrong place to ask but how will that affect them being to communicate with VIPER agencies?

Will they be able to patch to Catawba County and other agencies on a talk group?

Draf

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
> It’s actually going to be a P25 Harris system inside the city and Opensky outside

>> Catawba County will be VIPER but Hickory will be Opensky.

Since Hickory IS the city, those two comments seem - to me - to be in conflict with each other. I'm confused.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
> It’s actually going to be a P25 Harris system inside the city and Opensky outside

>> Catawba County will be VIPER but Hickory will be Opensky.

Since Hickory IS the city, those two comments seem - to me - to be in conflict with each other. I'm confused.

Yeah you are right Jeff. :)
Let me get in touch with my source and see what the deal is. I do know Catawba Co will be VIPER and that the plans are for Hickory to be Opensky. I just don't know what my source meant by the above statement.
Let me see what I can find out.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Drafin

So they could still be able to communicate with agencies with Viper talkgroups... that's good. I wondered why they would isolate themselves completely by using something incompatible when a large percentage of the rest of the state will be Viper.

Draf

Status
Not open for further replies.