Hidalgo county sheriff going digital and encrypted

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgv_tech

LRGV Radio Tech.
Database Admin
Hidalgo SO

I would not dismiss the availible money that is out there. There are over 150 grants availible. They just need a good underwriter to take care of the grants and they will be set.

Patrick N5SLI

dsvm2005

hopefully thats the case. That it will take at least 5 yrs. Like I said earlier I just got my Psr-500 and want to get as much use as I can.

Thanks all for the input

rgv_tech

LRGV Radio Tech.
Database Admin
Here is the real kicker

While Hidalgo County may get the money for the upgrade just like Willacy County did. Hidalgo will not be able to get a permanant license on 800 MHz. The reason is that 800 Mhz is being rebanded nation wide. The border states use what is called splinter frequencies which means that the border states are -12.5Khz. So instead of 856.2125 The border frequency is 856.2000.
What is holding up the deal on the rebanding is Mexico. They cant seem to agree on anything, so we have to wait while Mexico sits on its hands doing nothing. In the mean time The FCC will only hand out temporary licenses for 800 MHz. This is the boat that Willacy County is in. Which means that even though Willacy County installs a new P25 trunking system on Said freqs, those freqs could change every six months. Not likely but it could happen. which means that Willacy would have to pay a radio shop to retune TX combiners and reprogram radios.

Hidalgo County will go 800MHz because thats what the rest of the valley is on with the exception of San Juan, Alamo, Donna,Weslaco and a few other small towns.

I work at one of the radio shops so, I sorta have the inside scoop on most of what is going on in the valley. I am a Radio Service Technician at Valley Radio Center. It is really a cool job as I get to play with all the new Motorola radios. I even get to BETA test Motorola Radios once in awhile.

Patrick

Last edited:

dsvm2005

Hopefully thats the case. Do you think that they will be encrypted? And according to your opinion what is the time frame on this?

Thanks

rgv_tech

LRGV Radio Tech.
Database Admin
Hidalgo County

Hopefully thats the case. Do you think that they will be encrypted? And according to your opinion what is the time frame on this?
Thanks

The rest of the valley is not encrypted so I don't fore see anyone else going encrypted. As for the time frame I would guess around the next 18 to 24 months. Willacy County should be fully converted by July of this year. I am guessing that it really depends on the efficiency of Hidalgo’s government operations and the under-writers. Unfortunately since the radio systems are what Motorola calls “system radios” the only radio shop that can sell them their radios is South Texas Communications.”

Once the equipment is installed and operational then I can repair them when they brake. Which is cool I normally have a radio repaired within 24 hours or less which is faster than STC. I don’t mean to sound stuck up or any thing but it feels good to have a reputation for fast accurate work.

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
While Hidalgo County may get the money for the upgrade just like Willacy County did. Hidalgo will not be able to get a permanant license on 800 MHz. The reason is that 800 Mhz is being rebanded nation wide. The border states use what is called splinter frequencies which means that the border states are -12.5Khz. So instead of 856.2125 The border frequency is 856.2000.
What is holding up the deal on the rebanding is Mexico. They cant seem to agree on anything, so we have to wait while Mexico sits on its hands doing nothing. In the mean time The FCC will only hand out temporary licenses for 800 MHz. This is the boat that Willacy County is in. Which means that even though Willacy County installs a new P25 trunking system on Said freqs, those freqs could change every six months. Not likely but it could happen. which means that Willacy would have to pay a radio shop to retune TX combiners and reprogram radios.

Hidalgo County will go 800MHz because thats what the rest of the valley is on with the exception of San Juan, Alamo, Donna,Weslaco and a few other small towns.
Are they not aware of 700 MHz? Not only is it not encumbered by rebanding and STA-only licensing, but as I'm sure you know every current-production 800 Batwing radio will operate in both bands. Or is 700 not being licensed down in the border regions?

dsvm2005

OK last night I heard on the news that Homeland security will be giving money for communication upgrades and improvements. I cant remember if that only pertain to Hidalgo county or all of the counties and cities. The reason I am saying this is because News channel 5 interviewed the sheriff from Hidalgo county and he said, " the money will be very useful and radio communication will be improved too". Cant remember the exact same words but along those words.

I guess the change will be done sooner?

Figured I will let you guys now about it.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I thought this county had a history of corruption. If you are going to support a border war against drugs and illegal aliens, then you need to accept encryption. I believe that drugs should be legalized and treated as a medical condition. The cartels would surely be affected by this. Tax home grown cannabis and help the state of Texas fix the budget problems. Regarding illegal immigration, go after the ones hiring them in these United States. A recent example occurred with the egg baron in Iowa. He is a good example of someone circumventing the law to gain profit at the expense of others. You cannot have it both ways and run a war on drugs. Basically, this war is based in pervasive stupidity. Crime pays! It pays for the many government positions that would go to better use finding more serious violations. The drug fire would be extinguished if there were no incentive to smuggle. Let America grow it and make tons of money. Take a percentage out of drug taxes and shoot it toward treatment. The current system is a joke.

rgv_tech

LRGV Radio Tech.
Database Admin
Who is talking about drug wars and such

This section is not to discuss politics or beliefs. We all have our beliefs but this is not the place to discuss these items. This section is for the discussion of Communications here in the Rio Grande Valley. Please keep your comments to a communications nature.

Thank You
vrc_tech

I thought this county had a history of corruption. If you are going to support a border war against drugs and illegal aliens, then you need to accept encryption. I believe that drugs should be legalized and treated as a medical condition. The cartels would surely be affected by this. Tax home grown cannabis and help the state of Texas fix the budget problems. Regarding illegal immigration, go after the ones hiring them in these United States. A recent example occurred with the egg baron in Iowa. He is a good example of someone circumventing the law to gain profit at the expense of others. You cannot have it both ways and run a war on drugs. Basically, this war is based in pervasive stupidity. Crime pays! It pays for the many government positions that would go to better use finding more serious violations. The drug fire would be extinguished if there were no incentive to smuggle. Let America grow it and make tons of money. Take a percentage out of drug taxes and shoot it toward treatment. The current system is a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.