Hiding a scanner on public property

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
So you think leaving an unattended package at their property would be a good idea then? How do you plan on explaining to them what you are doing if you are spotted placing or retrieving the package? This has incredibly bad idea written all over it.

Get a yagi antenna and scope it out from a distance.

pb_lonny

So you think leaving an unattended package at their property would be a good idea then? How do you plan on explaining to them what you are doing if you are spotted placing or retrieving the package? This has incredibly bad idea written all over it.

It will be hidden in some bushes OUTSIDE their property on the nature strip. I would not trespass on to their property to do this.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Best idea all around!

RFI-EMI-GUY

It will be hidden in some bushes OUTSIDE their property on the nature strip. I would not trespass on to their property to do this.

Do what the real spies do:

http://improvements.scene7.com/is/image/Improvements/T_WithoutZoom?$PDPmain$&$src=b-410363_main

Attachments

• T_WithoutZoom.jpg
    T_WithoutZoom.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 534

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
That's why I said AT their property, not ON it. Doesn't change the fact that you could be spotted in the process.

Is the bush area public property? If so go for a stroll and discretely have your scanner on you.

pb_lonny

Do what the real spies do:

http://improvements.scene7.com/is/image/Improvements/T_WithoutZoom?$PDPmain$&$src=b-410363_main

That is a great idea and the sort of advice I was looking for.

That's why I said AT their property, not ON it. Doesn't change the fact that you could be spotted in the process.

Is the bush area public property? If so go for a stroll and discretely have your scanner on you.

My plan was to set up the scanner during the early hours of the morning when nobody is around and then come back the next night to check it and what results it has found. It is not an area I would be able to stroll around during the day without looking out of place, that is the reason I am wanting to do it this way. It would be MUCH easier to park my car and spend some time sitting their during the day but due to the area it would look VERY out of place and raise a lot of questions.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I've got a bad feeling about this...

If you've got to go sneaking around, hiding equipment, and then retrieving said equipment without being detected, probably shouldn't be doing it at all.

pb_lonny

If you've got to go sneaking around, hiding equipment, and then retrieving said equipment without being detected, probably shouldn't be doing it at all.

The things we do to locate those "elusive" frequencies. If I run this for a week and don't get any hits, I am comfortable they are not using radios at all.

RFI-EMI-GUY

From his website, at least we know he isn't spying on the Tasmania Police! Really He is not!

"Sunday, 7 February 2016
Listening to Tasmania Police
This post is to make something very clear to EVERYBODY who visits my blog. I have NO INTEREST in scanning the Tasmania Police, I have no equipment capable of listening to them and no desire to do so. If you are looking for information related to scanning them please check out this excellent page: "

pb_lonny

From his website, at least we know he isn't spying on the Tasmania Police! Really He is not!

"Sunday, 7 February 2016
Listening to Tasmania Police
This post is to make something very clear to EVERYBODY who visits my blog. I have NO INTEREST in scanning the Tasmania Police, I have no equipment capable of listening to them and no desire to do so. If you are looking for information related to scanning them please check out this excellent page: "

I am not sure what that has to do with anything? They use a 800MHz EDACS trunking network, it is well documented and nothing about it hidden.

I am trying to locate the VHF / UHF frequency that is being used by a local business when the frequency they have used in the past has gone dead.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I am not sure what that has to do with anything? They use a 800MHz EDACS trunking network, it is well documented and nothing about it hidden.

I am trying to locate the VHF / UHF frequency that is being used by a local business when the frequency they have used in the past has gone dead.

I was just surprised there are any radios in Tasmania!

RFI-EMI-GUY

Thats cool actually I often though about making some sort of remote repeater so that I could scan the FRS channels in busy parts of town and beam them back to me. Sort of an RF translator 462 to 900 MHz band,

bailly2

it would be nice if you could get time sharing on an nsa satellite. ..i wonder how feasible it would be to mount the scanner onto a drone. please tell us the general type of business your trying to monitor. why don't you just go there and act like your applying for a job? keep in mind close call and spectrum sweeper doesn't monitor every frequency you can scan, skips over 380mhz for example

RFI-EMI-GUY

In the TV show Mr. Robot, the hacker Elliot sends a special WiFi router in a Fed X package to any company he wants to hack. It is addressed to a fictitious employee so it sits on the reception desk for a couple days as it collects log in data from wireless users in the building. Then he swoops in, identifies himself as the new employee and collects the package.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Please post links to your local media outlets and when you plan on doing this. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.