Hiding a scanner on public property

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Nice.

My grandfather, many years ago, was really interested in trains. They were getting ready to build a new trolly system in the city where he lived.
He wanted to see more of what was going on, but it wasn't easy to get close. Being a retired engineer and having gone into acting after he retired, he figured out the solution.
He borrowed a hard hat. He had a clip board and a stop watch.
he walked into the place where they were doing final assembly of the trolly cars with his hard had, clip board and stop watch and no one bugged him. When someone started to look his way, he pick up the stop watch, look at them, click the stop watch and start writing stuff down.
Everyone seemed to think he was some sort of workplace efficiency guy that everyone avoided him.

He hung around for a while, asked a few questions, even took a few photos and then went on his way.

This was back in the 1980's before every one was so scared about terrorists and security. Probably wouldn't get away with it now, but wouldn't surprise me if you could.

Good catch, thanks for the write up.
You can get away with a lot in a truck with flashing lights a few "witches hats".

Thats some funny stuff. I gotta wonder if the project got finished ahead of schedule because of your Grand Fathers's observations!

Last edited:

RFI-EMI-GUY

Well this now has a conclusion :) Frequency has been located using the "hiding in plain sight method" ;)

VKPC7PB: Taking Frequency Hunting to an Extreme Level

Years ago when I worked for a big evil radio company (The one with the M), part of my job was investigating interference complaints. I really enjoyed this as I could spend time away from the office on sunny rooftops with my system analyzer (which was a heavy beast). I came prepared with the proper antenna, bandpass filter, pre-amplifiers etc. Usually this gear was wired up in the car on the way sniffing for the source. Multilevel parking garages were my favorite because I could drive to the top and get a high vantage point. Often I simply rolled my hand cart up to the security desk of a high rise, told them I worked for M Corp and flashed my badge. Roof access was never a problem because the employees never locked them (for the smokers I guess) and the alarms never worked. So I could set up shop and sweep the horizon.

One time the interference was actually an illegal transmitter located in Liberty City (Miami). It was a low power channel 14 TV transmitter a Haitian shop owner had installed to extend his security TV and sound to his apartment blocks away. As soon as I nailed it, the owner starts asking me for "immunity from prosecution"!! I told him to turn it off, and get his money back from whoever he bought it from. He did. His place had obviously been burgled many times.

Usually the interference was some malfunctioning or poorly designed equipment.

pb_lonny

Well this has a follow up.

I have been contacted by this company, they found my blog post as somebody sent them the link. Not sure how this will play out.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Well this has a follow up.

I have been contacted by this company, they found my blog post as somebody sent them the link. Not sure how this will play out.

Contacted regarding what? The fact that you found their frequency? Pffft..... big deal, move on. It's not like you sneaked onto their property and read one of their radios.

Lesson to learn from this? Discreet is elite. Some successes shouldn't be bragged about in public.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Contacted regarding what? The fact that you found their frequency? Pffft..... big deal, move on. It's not like you sneaked onto their property and read one of their radios.

Lesson to learn from this? Discreet is elite. Some successes shouldn't be bragged about in public.

If I remember correctly, he's in Tasmania. Things might be a little different down (and over) there if that's the case. Those Brits tend to put a tighter reign on their radios, I think.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
If I remember correctly, he's in Tasmania. Things might be a little different down (and over) there if that's the case. Those Brits tend to put a tighter reign on their radios, I think.
Could be I suppose. Which gives all that much more relevance to the discreet part.

pb_lonny

Thanks all.

Here is the link to the original blog post (I have changed domains since then): The Geeky Radio Enthusiast: Taking Frequency Hunting to an Extreme Level

The email I got is simply to ask why I am so interested in their communications and how I found their frequency. The person said they moved to UHF CB as it was easier and cheaper. They have also asked if anybody else has contacted me about their radio usage.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber

teufler

About 20 years ago, The Memphis Drug Task Force came by the shop and borrowed an Optiscout, or near field receiver. The unit captured data instantly. They would place in and area they wanted to locate frequencies that were being used by whomever they were interested in. They would let it run over night, then retrieve it, where it would display what frequencies had been received and how many times. If you can locate one, say wearing it, and stroll into the area. If whomever is radio busy, the Optiscout will handle the task quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.