HIgh gain omni suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

W5KVV

All, I'm looking for a high gain dual band omni antenna for a base setup. I need one that will handle 100+ watts on FM.

I'm looking at the Comet GP9, but the horror stories are starting to worry me. Has anyone used the GP9 running 100 watts FM into it and had the antenna last? They're rated for 200, but I believe the mfg rates it at 200 ssb.

I don't want something that I'm going to have to repair/replace every couple months. I'm considering hold out and going with a db224/db408 combo.

ka9ucn

You might want to look at a collinear type antenna. They vary in size and radiation pattern so some research as to weather it will work in your situation would be advised.

Joe KA9UCN

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I use a Jetstream JTB-2. It's a Comet clone that looks almost identical to the Comet (But costs a lot less).

I run 100W on 2 meters quite often. I've had the antenna up for 6 years with no problems. It's handled winds of up to 60 Mph. It gets a decent 4.7 out of 5 rating on eHam.

I don't know if they're in production any more, but I see that Gigaparts is blowing them out at a pretty good price.. The specs are listed in this Gigaparts link. https://www.gigaparts.com/jetstream-jtb2b.html

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
If you can find an exposed dipole antenna like a DB224 (or something similar), you're not likely to find anything better. These antennas have a long history of service and they last nearly forever... especially the older models. Unlike many of the amateur antennas, the gain figures are realistic, and you'll probably only need to put it up once.

However, I've read that the newer models frequently have issues with water intrusion into the phasing harness, so be sure to do your research.

John

W5KVV

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll do some research on them.

John, I do like the 224's and their UHF cousins. We run them exclusively on our repeaters, some are pushing 40 years old and show no signs of giving up. Very well built products.

lmrtek

All, I'm looking for a high gain dual band omni antenna for a base setup. I need one that will handle 100+ watts on FM.

I'm looking at the Comet GP9, but the horror stories are starting to worry me. Has anyone used the GP9 running 100 watts FM into it and had the antenna last? They're rated for 200, but I believe the mfg rates it at 200 ssb.

I don't want something that I'm going to have to repair/replace every couple months. I'm considering hold out and going with a db224/db408 combo.

I've tried comet's gp9 and the diamond 500hna and both are poorly made and will not last

They can easily be burned open by those power levels and their 3 piece design is a joke

You are far better off running separate antennas

Buy a hustler G6 for 2 meters and a G6 440 for 70cm and you will have a pair of the best ham grade antennas made

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

If you want a single antenna solution, look at a Sinclair 210-C2 or 210-C4. While advertised as a VHF antenna, they resonate on UHF as well. There is not an antenna made that will out last them. They will also run circles around any comet hammy junk fibreglass vertical.

prcguy

I have a GP-9 commercial version and its outlived a 2m Hustler G7 and a Hustler G6 I had by about 15yrs. The G7 element threads corroded into white dust and half of it fell off my tower. One of my G6s went high VSWR after a few years and I didn't take it apart but I believe something inside the grey base with a water drip hole corroded and caused the problem.

I live about a mile from the ocean and antennas made with certain aluminum alloys don't last long here. In contrast I have many other aluminum antennas that are in good shape after 20yrs where the Hustler G7 fell apart after maybe 5yrs. My GP-9 commercial does have a problem where the threaded mast mounting tube has corroded threads and it won't come apart, otherwise it works fine after 15yrs.

I don't use much more than 50w on my old GP-9 commercial version but I do have a GP-9 amateur version about 6mo old and hit it with 100w on 2m all the time with no problems. My range on 2m and 440 increased very noticeably when I swapped out a Comet GP-15 for the GP-9 amateur version.
prcguy

I've tried comet's gp9 and the diamond 500hna and both are poorly made and will not last

They can easily be burned open by those power levels and their 3 piece design is a joke

You are far better off running separate antennas

Buy a hustler G6 for 2 meters and a G6 440 for 70cm and you will have a pair of the best ham grade antennas made

KG5FQT

Dont know if your still looking, but I currently use the Diamond X300 and love it. Had it for over a year and it just works. At 40 feet up, I can reliably hit 2m repeaters over 75 miles out with 50 watts. 70cm about 50 miles out. I might use it for a APRS dedicated antenna and upgrade to the X510 or X700 .

Status
Not open for further replies.