High quality RG6? High frequency RG6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seans1212

I use Perfect Vision solid copper quad shield for my scanners. I use quad because my c and Ku band dishes are bundled with them. My CB and my 10 meter ham run LMR400 perfect flex. Everything works just fine.

I originally started with the idea of LMR400, not cheap! But then I read so many people use RG8 which is easily available and being used for LNB IF out in GHz, I decided that will do as the 50 Ohm no longer is an issue for me, I wont be transmitting.

seans1212

I have used Belden supershileld. A dual 100% shield. For runs to 30 meters, it is low loss up to 1.2 Ghz. Higher frequency it doesn't work well at all.
@ 1296 Mhz it is like 10 Db loss. Barely usable.
In the industry, it is common practice to downconvert at the antenna. Theoretically, no limit to frequency then. Block converters have a typical output of over 0Dbmv, enough to run 60 meters.
Bundeling runs has been no problem at all.
If this will be followed with switches and splitters, you will want a preamp ahead of that with very low noise. 15 Db is common, but can be too hot for scanners so consider some attenuators.
Cheers

Thank you merlin - 1.2GHz is a little limited for me, I am trying to explore 5.7GHz if possible. I have got myself a 4-way electronics antenna switcher that claims 6GHz, LNA, and an 18GHz relay and it needs to feed 4 receivers, I will see what I can do with all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.