High Speed Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I didn't want to put this under the tavern or another forum because I am looking for more regional input.

Can someone recommend a high speed internet to me? I've checked verizon & AT&T but I'm not in their coverage area. Both are here in the valley, but not by my house. Adelphia is the only one that I can find, but they are a little more expensive.

From the searching I've done, I haven't really found anything else. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Todd

lddbck

I live in Hopewell so dont know if I am any help or not. Adelphia does have differant speeds the last I looked. The last I looked they had a speed package for about 25 dollars. Plus Adelphia customers are going to switch to Comcast at some point and time. Dont know if that will affect you or not.

Schnoor1648

Are you looking for wireless? If so, then EVDO Forums might be very helpful for you.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys. I do think Adelphia's switch is going to effect me. I have Adelphia cable as well. I'll try the other forumn and see if I can get some more ideas.

Thanks for the link... I hadn't been there.

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
We also have Adelphia cable, and I went ahead and bit the bullet and got their broadband service as well about a month ago. First three months was $21.95/month, then it goes up to full price, about $46 or so. I wanted Verizon DSL, but they had such a long waiting list, it would have taken forever for them to catch up. Anyway, I am happy with it, and put in a wireless network for the rest of the house. We also will be caught up in the Comcast deal. So waiting to see how that will affect things.

EdKrom

Premium Subscriber
tglendye said:
I didn't want to put this under the tavern or another forum because I am looking for more regional input.

Can someone recommend a high speed internet to me? I've checked verizon & AT&T but I'm not in their coverage area. Both are here in the valley, but not by my house. Adelphia is the only one that I can find, but they are a little more expensive.

From the searching I've done, I haven't really found anything else. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Todd
I do not know where you are. If you are in Winchester/ Frederick Co, or Clarke Co, I recomend Visual Link Wireless.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I've had Adelphia for years. we have the faster service then the normal one. we pay more but have 6.7MB down and about 1MB up. not sure how Comcast is going to change things but it's about all we can get where we are.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
EdKrom said:
I do not know where you are. If you are in Winchester/ Frederick Co, or Clarke Co, I recomend Visual Link Wireless.

I'm in Rockingham County, south of Harrisonburg.

chynst

There is no cable or DSL where I live. Has any one tried satellite? That seems to be my only option. After reading the fine print on them, I am kind of leary about it.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Todd, since I'm outside the 18,000 foot range for DSL, I was forced to go with Adelphia about 2 months ago. So, I've had great luck with it, and would suggest it to anyone.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
BoxAlarm187 said:
Todd, since I'm outside the 18,000 foot range for DSL, I was forced to go with Adelphia about 2 months ago. So, I've had great luck with it, and would suggest it to anyone.

Yeah, thanks Taylor- I think I'm in the same boat. We have Adelphia at the station and my sister-in-law and her husband have it as well. They like it and I haven't heard any complaints about it around the station, either. And being firefighters, I'm sure I would have heard complaints if it was bad. :) I like it as well, but when I started seeing prices of Verizon DSL and AT&T, I thought there might be another option around that was a little less expensive.

I also haven't shopped around for ISP prices for about 5 years, and am finally realizing that I am not making out very well with what I am paying for dial-up.

I think I'm getting cheap in my "old" age. :)

Last edited:

lddbck

If you are on Aol. You are missing a lot and getting ripped off. The only real problem I had with Adelphia was back last year when my service was at a snails pace all the time. It was actually slower then dialup. Think a connection spot in Charlottesville was the problem. Took them 5 months to fix it. Then a few lost connections from bad hardware and wires locally. But other then that LOVE THE SPEEDS!

The only real draw back on cable is that you share the line with everyone else in you area. So if eveyone is downloading something at the same time your speeds may drop a little bit. If you decide to get cable make sure they check your signal to the modem. The more splitters you have off your main line the slower your speeds may end up. And nothing wrong with being cheap as long as you get your moneys worth. :)

Last edited:

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
lddbck said:
If you are on Aol. You are missing a lot and getting ripped off. The only real problem I had with Adelphia was back last year when my service was at a snails pace all the time. It was actually slower then dialup. Think a connection spot in Charlottesville was the problem. Took them 5 months to fix it. Then a few lost connections from bad hardware and wires locally. But other then that LOVE THE SPEEDS!

The only real draw back on cable is that you share the line with everyone else in you area. So if eveyone is downloading something at the same time your speeds may drop a little bit. If you decide to get cable make sure they check your signal to the modem. The more splitters you have off your main line the slower your speeds may end up. And nothing wrong with being cheap as long as you get your moneys worth. :)

I have not had any issues with them (for Internet service) in over 5 years and that in two different area (the local offices operate a little different...one I was handed the DVR and the other where I am now they want you to have them install it). I get consistant 6.7MB download. as for splitters, make sure you have the modem on the first splitter. if anyone needs info on a bidirectional amp, let me know.

photone

If you do end up with Comcast, you could definitely do worse…I got Comcast high speed internet about 4 years back and have been very satisfied with it for the most part. There were soma issues with slow speeds and low connectivity last summer, caused by customer numbers out-stripping system capacity in the Richmond area, but they were taken care of and, in fact, Comcast has increased its speeds greatly over the last year.

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
tglendye said:
Yeah, thanks Taylor- I think I'm in the same boat. We have Adelphia at the station and my sister-in-law and her husband have it as well. They like it and I haven't heard any complaints about it around the station, either. And being firefighters, I'm sure I would have heard complaints if it was bad. :) I like it as well, but when I started seeing prices of Verizon DSL and AT&T, I thought there might be another option around that was a little less expensive.

I also haven't shopped around for ISP prices for about 5 years, and am finally realizing that I am not making out very well with what I am paying for dial-up.

I think I'm getting cheap in my "old" age. :)

LOL, for all us cheapsters out there, try www.copper.net

I got tired of all the rising costs of dial-up, so I found one that seems to be reliable and inexpensive. Costs me $9.95/mo. They have the so-called accelerated connection (compression) for $14.95/mo. Now that I have Adelphia, I still haven't canceled the Copper just yet (keeping a contingency connection for the time being). Anyway, I found they have one number for Harrisonburg, which I presume would be a local exchange for you - 540-908-4047?

gcgrotz

Have you looked into Ntelos? I know they have DSL here in C'ville as well as the home territory in Waynesboro. I don't know if they have wireline DSL in your area. Are you line of sight to Massanutten Mtn? Ntelos has a wireless DSL service up there on 2.5 GHz that works well and gets about 768k.

I feel your pain re: Verizon. It takes us months to get T1 from them. Sprint (now Embarq) can usually deliver in 2-3 weeks if you ask nice. I've had Sprint DSL since they started it in 1999 with now problems. When I moved downtown they bumped me up to 1.5mbits and now offer 3mbits for the same price. Maybe you should move over here?

No EVDO that I know of in the valley yet but regular wireless data via pcs is still faster than dialup. I think Ntelos may have EVDO by the end of 2007. You could check with Cingular, they have high speed data pretty much everywhere. I know one of their techs, he keeps CNN streaming on his laptop in the truck.

P.S. do you work for Coors over there?

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys for all the responses.

gcgrotz: Thanks for the idea about Ntelos. I checked it out a while back and I'm outside of the portable broadband, but it looks like DSL would work. For some reason I didn't find alot of information on it the other day, but was able to this morning. I'll check into that further, along w/ Adelphia. I'm quite a bit away from Massanutten Mountain, however I can actually see the peak from my upstairs bedroom. That kind of makes me wonder if the portable broadband may actually work where I live.

Yes... I do work @Coors. I like the Charlottesville area, but couldn't afford the real estate :)

gcgrotz

I hear you on the real estate! Oh well, it is beautiful over there where you are anyway. Think of all those travellers on 81 that say "This sure is beautiful, I wish I could live here"

As for the portable DSL, I know there was (maybe still is) a limitation of 6 or 7 miles caused by timing problems inherent in the coding of the thing, caused by propagation delays. So in your case you can see it but can't work it. They have one on Carter's Mtn here that works very well around town except where there are hills in the way. I tried one at my old house, if I put it in the upstairs bathroom window it would have just enough signal to sync up but wouldn't really work.

Well anyway, good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.