High speed pursuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

abravfan

Anyone catch the action this afternoon. VSP was chasing a motorcycle from 295 to 95 into Ashland. Speeds were reported over 100 mph.

On a side note, they really need to work the bugs out of the stars system. I don't know how many times the trooper had to repeat his self because of radio issues. And I did hear one of them complain about the new system several times. Anyway don't know the outcome of the situation but I think he crashed into one of the vsp cruisers.

dren

Feed Provider
What time was the crash? I heard Richmond contact area 8 units (Hanover) and say the bike was on 95 south. I was just trying to get home from Richmond and didn't pay much attention to the traffic. There are still many many bugs with STARS. We're supposed to keep a running log with our issues so Motorolla can get everything worked out.

abravfan

I picked it up around 4:30 or so. The crash happened around 5:00. I saw it on the news last night. It originated in spotsylvania county and then he headed down 95 into ashland and got on route 1.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
The crash actually occured on Route 1 near Virginia Center Commons mall in Henrico. The motorcyclist struck the rear of a VSP car, and was subsequently transported by a Henrico Fire ambulance with non-life-threatening injuries.

topcop1833

at my job, we have the ability to bring up VSP radio channels on our consoles. the folks on stars were coming through loud and clear. there was one trooper on conventional that was having issues. as a side note, when i use my portable extender in conventional mode, the vehicle repeater does a poor job. when i go back to stars, it works great. maybe the trooper was on his portable calling the pursuit. i would think some of the guys would keep thier radios in conventional mode so they could access the regular vsp tac.

MOTORHEAD3902

I fought it in my mind and in my heart, but I keep my radio in STARS-mode about 90% of the time now- the digital clarity and uniformity in signal afforded by STARS is just too sweet to ignore...and the other guys on my shift comment that when in conventional, my radio sounds...uh...if not exactly like feces, at least a close approximation thereof...

sure love that MDC when in conventional, though...SQWAWWWWK!!!

topcop1833

i agree, stars mode blows conventional out of the water. not to mention that it does very well even when the signal strength bar is at zero. last week i was in culpeper and had enough signal strength to get on the system and talk back to richmond. not too bad. same thing yesterday, a little broken up, but i was in with just a little bit of the techno voice.

i cant comment on the MDC as we don't have any in our vehicles.

MOTORHEAD3902

Aerotron radios....hmmmm, brown, dirty and foul-smelling...just like....

JK, Aerotron radios have done very well for being older than some of the troopers that use them...my last one was a 1976 model with a mic that smelled of cigarette smoke and kerosene...

Status
Not open for further replies.