• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

High SWR on All New CB Setup

dlhanse

Hi. New to the hobby. Installed new CB system on Ford Ranger Truck. Getting very high SWR reading above 3.0.

All equipment is brand new. Antenna tests good. Have tried 2 different radios and 3 different antennas, and 3 sperate cables.
Coax cable tests good, no short, no breaks.
Mounting bracket is grounded properly, no shorting across nut. Good isolation between antenna and bottom nut. Grounded to chassis with 8" long ground cable, and also mounted directly to metal. Continuity confirmed with meter from mounting bracket and negative battery terminal.
Antenna (2' fiberglass) mounted near the rear of truck on the top of the bed wall. Not close to cab in open air. Sticks above cab 10".
SWR tested in open field.

What else can I do?

Thanks

nokones

Premium Subscriber
Hi. New to the hobby. Installed new CB system on Ford Ranger Truck. Getting very high SWR reading above 3.0.

All equipment is brand new. Antenna tests good. Have tried 2 different radios and 3 different antennas, and 3 sperate cables.
Coax cable tests good, no short, no breaks.
Mounting bracket is grounded properly, no shorting across nut. Good isolation between antenna and bottom nut. Grounded to chassis with 8" long ground cable, and also mounted directly to metal. Continuity confirmed with meter from mounting bracket and negative battery terminal.
Antenna (2' fiberglass) mounted near the rear of truck on the top of the bed wall. Not close to cab in open air. Sticks above cab 10".
SWR tested in open field.

What else can I do?

Thanks
If you are using a Firestik, is it a Firestik II with an adjustable tip? A 4 Ft Antenna would work a lot better on the VSWRs but a 5 Ft. would be better. What VSWR readings are you getting on Ch. 1, Ch. 20, and Ch. 40?

WSAC829

That antenna is too short to tune properly. You need at least a 4 foot antenna for a good swr.
I beg to differ. I use a 3 foot Diesel whip on my F150 with a hood/fender mount. It has a super low SWR across all 40.

Attachments

• swr.jpeg
    swr.jpeg
    59 KB · Views: 5

slowmover

Tuning Guide

Welcome! Some images wouldn’t hurt. Most problems are mount type & location. As above, it’s the sheetmetal underneath that is one half of the antenna.

I wouldn’t get too hung up on total length at beginning, but . . . .

Low SWR is “nice” (@ 1.5:1), but total antenna length is an equivalent to performance. One might hear “okay”, but to expect to be heard, a 5’ is where reasonable performance begins.

A quarter-wave antenna is 9’. Staying above half that length is best.

7’ is where best design/manufacture creates an antenna better suited to the high wind loads of mobile operation. Whether a base load SIRIO 5000 or a mid-coil PREDATOR 10K-1-27 is chosen is almost a preference, now is performance optimized without the wind whip of a 108”.

Static mobile to mobile is a nice stand-in as a test, but it’s clarity at greatest distance while underway where one learns that (first), there’s no substitute for height, and (second) that antenna particulars matter.

A SIGNAL ENGINEERING GR 45 is a partial exemption in length given its top hat design. Not as tall as the two above, but more likely to catch against obstacles if not careful. With a fairly ordinary radio it gets outstanding reports.

An all-around best start is a 6’ Skipshooter. Not as flexible as the 7’, but with very good top load performance that’ll put any 3-4’ antenna to shame. “Clear” cover stands out least, and it’s a low price

Not for nothing I learned to buy this brand in pairs (big truck).

OP, FWIW, I ran a mag mount on the pickup roof for many years. Location trumps almost all else, just ahead of total height.

If you expect to hear and be heard about a mile or so, it’s not hard to get going. If you want real performance, it’ll take more planning and work. A mile isn’t enough in high speed rural traffic.

— Stick around long enough to work through a good solution for what you have right now. Report back to keep working details.

Last edited:

robertwbob

KE0WRU
bad vswr meter or bad jumper.unless your using built in vswr meter. that many changes should produced diffrent results. we are not there so walk us through whole process . i think we are missing a link or 2 in your setup. can you hear other radios?
oh if you can remove coax from antenna with ease check continuitu. might be 1 thin wire from braid touching center wire post in pl259

dlhanse

Tuning Guide

Welcome! Some images wouldn’t hurt. Most problems are mount type & location. As above, it’s the sheetmetal underneath that is one half of the antenna.

I wouldn’t get too hung up on total length at beginning, but . . . .

Low SWR is “nice” (@ 1.5:1), but total antenna length is an equivalent to performance. One might hear “okay”, but to expect to be heard, a 5’ is where reasonable performance begins.

A quarter-wave antenna is 9’. Staying above half that length is best.

7’ is where best design/manufacture creates an antenna better suited to the high wind loads of mobile operation. Whether a base load SIRIO 5000 or a mid-coil PREDATOR 10K-1-27 is chosen is almost a preference, now is performance optimized without the wind whip of a 108”.

Static mobile to mobile is a nice stand-in as a test, but it’s clarity at greatest distance while underway where one learns that (first), there’s no substitute for height, and (second) that antenna particulars matter.

A SIGNAL ENGINEERING GR 45 is a partial exemption in length given its top hat design. Not as tall as the two above, but more likely to catch against obstacles if not careful. With a fairly ordinary radio it gets outstanding reports.

An all-around best start is a 6’ Skipshooter. Not as flexible as the 7’, but with very good top load performance that’ll put any 3-4’ antenna to shame. “Clear” cover stands out least, and it’s a low price

Not for nothing I learned to buy this brand in pairs (big truck).

OP, FWIW, I ran a mag mount on the pickup roof for many years. Location trumps almost all else, just ahead of total height.

If you expect to hear and be heard about a mile or so, it’s not hard to get going. If you want real performance, it’ll take more planning and work. A mile isn’t enough in high speed rural traffic.

— Stick around long enough to work through a good solution for what you have right now. Report back to keep working details.

I made a short video