High winds in south-central Alberta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Calgary and region are getting hammered pretty badly by high winds today. I don't know all the stories because I've been sleeping prior to working tonight, but the scanner at home and various Twitter users have been burning up the airwaves with dozens and dozens of calls.

See the RR database for frequencies from the affected areas, including: City of Calgary, Rockyview (east side), Foothills (east side) - that's what I can hear from my home. Twitter, as I mentioned, is pretty heavily focusing on Calgary area damage. CFD has announced that it is opening its emergency operations center and the city is breaking out the municipal emergency plan. And as I type this, news outlets are reporting that the downtown core is now closed to all traffic due to the dangerous wind conditions.

Stay safe, everybody!

Last edited:

Jay911

Feed Provider
The City of Calgary has enacted the Municipal Emergency Plan and also closed all roads in the downtown core to all vehicle and pedestrian traffic due to safety concerns, according to local media and the Alberta Emergency Alert System. Stay inside and away from windows until the wind dies down.

Source: http://emergencyalert.alberta.ca/

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

My girlfriend Is in school at UofLeth. Fires burning on north and west side of city, being fanned by high winds. At one of the fires propane cylinders have exploded. Hope every one stays safe down there tonight. Is raining here in E-Town, could be a real fun morning if it goes below 0 tonight

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Evacuations are now happening in west Leth.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Drove past the firehall in Beiseker today. They lost a substantial portion of their roof in the windstorm. My information is that there were no injuries and minimal damage to apparatus and contents. The hall is being repaired and the rigs are being stored somewhere else for the time being.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Lot of damage

One thing I haven't heard too much about is how many, if any, antenna towers and antennas were blown down. I believe some hams lost part or all of their antennas. The SARA link seems to have be down since the wind storm on Sunday, not sure if it is because of the loss of power or an antenna. I hear newly shingled houses lost shingles. A quonset type garage in Claresholm basicaly "blew" apart. So damage was from Carstairs to Claresholm. My concern is my house insurance went up 22% this year because of "claims" from flooding and storm damage over the past couple of years. And I am hearing rumours that all Albertan's house insurance will be going up considerably to pay for the Slave Lake disaster. And after all the problems experienced with the wind storms over the past couple of weeks, I shudder to think what is going to happen with our home insurance. And wind warnings are still out for areas east of Calgary.

Status
Not open for further replies.