Higher Gain Ant

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOK5CY

I've noticed on my Pro-135 when i'm carrying it around the home it'll miss half the signal . I'll carry it by hand and it'll recve better but once i start walking and have it clipped on my belt or back pocket the signal isn't better .

Would i need to upgrade to a higher gain ant or just deal with the stock rubber duck

SCPD

QRT
I've noticed on my Pro-135 when i'm carrying it around the home it'll miss half the signal . I'll carry it by hand and it'll recve better but once i start walking and have it clipped on my belt or back pocket the signal isn't better .

Would i need to upgrade to a higher gain ant or just deal with the stock rubber duck

You don't mention what frequency range you are using, but I have had very good luck with the Radio Shack 800MHz rubber antenna. Is that what you are using?

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Once you put the radio on your belt or in your pocket, you just made yourself into an RF black hole. Believe it or not, your body against the antenna blocks a good deal of the signal. This is why you see some police speaker microphones with the antennas on the mike instead of the radio.

br0adband

Once you put the radio on your belt or in your pocket, you just made yourself into an RF black hole. Believe it or not, your body against the antenna blocks a good deal of the signal. This is why you see some police speaker microphones with the antennas on the mike instead of the radio.

That's true to an extent but, the 800 MHz frequencies those radios with the antenna mounted speakermics are used with are highly directional, far far more so than VHF frequencies would be, and they don't penetrate/pass-through our bodies nearly as easily as VHF freqs can and do hence the need to "get them higher" which means up above the body's interference meaning on the lapel-mounted speakermic.

I'd say that 800 MHz Radio Shack duckie is amazing for pulling in stuff in the VHF range (and UHF too for that matter). It truly is a remarkable antenna for all that it offers. Maldol has some nice VHF-specific antennas, Comet has several, and then again there's the "King of the Hill" in my opinion, the Diamond RHC77A duckie/whip.

I've owned several of them and I have yet another one now for my Pro-164 and it's fantastic on VHF/UHF (since it's a Ham antenna, primarily) and it does fairly well on the 800 MHz band as well in my use.

Status
Not open for further replies.