"Highway" Channel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was listening to the railroad channel a few days ago. I was near Cedar Rapids, Iowa on 160.8900mhz.

A train was "stalled" on a hill near Mount Vernon, Iowa. Another train was going to "Shove" them to the end of the hill. I thought this would be interesting to listen to.

They were talking back and forth abot where each other was, weights, lengths, wet rail etc. Alluva sudden somebody said "Lets go to the highway". And I never heard another peep out of them. I drove over to Mount Vernon and saw them at 8th avenue north near cornell college, still performing this manuever.

My question is They were obviously using the radio. I saw them doing it. But what am I missing on this Highway channel? It must be where they perform their emergency type transmissions, but I cant seem to find it? I have everything in the database programmed.

I would think it is similar to the "Road" Channel

KC0QNB

Railroads are also authorized some uhf frequencies, but I doubt the railroaders carry dual band radios, do you have all 97 (96) channels programmed?, of course you can always do a band search 159.810 through 161.565, and see what pops up note all hits even it you have them already.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Thats a special code for a certain channel to avoid some ears listening in...

apparently it worked pretty well

N9JIG

Sheriff
UP's former CNW lines used 160.890 (F1), 160.455 (F2) and 161.040 (F3). I occasionally hear them go to F2 from F1 or F3 for switching operations etc.

160.455 was the Maintenance of Way channel in CNW days, perhaps you heard a couple oldtimers using a nickname for this channel.

Allan_Love_Jr

160.455Mhz

UP's former CNW lines used 160.890 (F1), 160.455 (F2) and 161.040 (F3). I occasionally hear them go to F2 from F1 or F3 for switching operations etc.

160.455 was the Maintenance of Way channel in CNW days, perhaps you heard a couple oldtimers using a nickname for this channel.
UP might still use it over in Iowa. But out here the BNSF runs over 160.455Mhz now.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin

Its not old timers and its not an old CNW channel. It is exactly as I said before ;)

timkilbride

Database Admin
On the UP double main across Iowa, I have heard UP train crews bashing the dispatcher, trainmaster, yardmaster, or just general BS, ect on 53 53(160.905), one channel above the main line channel. Just scan all 97 AAR channel and you won't miss anything.

Allan_Love_Jr

On the UP double main across Iowa, I have heard UP train crews bashing the dispatcher, trainmaster, yardmaster, or just general BS, ect on 53 53(160.905), one channel above the main line channel. Just scan all 97 AAR channel and you won't miss anything.
What do they bash the Dispatcher about? I do know that there are alot of times where I have heard alot of train crews call up the Dispatcher all at once that the Dispatcher got really pissed off and got on the Radio and litterly told everyone to stop calling him that he was very busy. I mean he was really angry.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
What do they bash the Dispatcher about? I do know that there are alot of times where I have heard alot of train crews call up the Dispatcher all at once that the Dispatcher got really pissed off and got on the Radio and litterly told everyone to stop calling him that he was very busy. I mean he was really angry.

Things like you ujst described.

Status
Not open for further replies.