Highway Patrol Low Band

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescuecomm

I heard some activity on 42.340 mhz last weekend in the Pickens/Greenville area. Didn't expect to hear any usage on the old low band. Any usage anywhere else?

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Theres a ham whi i used to talk to that lived in Pickens and worked in the comm center. If i can remember his call, I'll see if he nas much.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
Are you sure it was SCHP, and not another agency being received via skip ? The low band skip conditions have been fairly decent here recently.

California Highway Patrol uses 42.34 for statewide notifications and emergencies.

Illinois State Police use the frequency for dispatching in a couple of ISP districts, although they are transitioning to 800 MHz at this time.

I believe Washington State Police also use 42.34, but I never have logged them.

The State of S.C. continues to maintain the low band licenses, so one could presume they might put the channels back into service under some circumstance, such as a weather-related disaster that takes down part of the Palmetto 800 system.

Another possibility is that you may have heard a couple of people who purchased used State of South Carolina low band equipment. There was a "ton" of gear available at Shelby and other area hamfests last year.

At Shelby, two guys from Greenville were selling a trailer-full of the transceivers, minus control head and mike, for $5 a piece.

rescuecomm

Highway Patrol Dispatcher

I think I know the fellow you are referring too. He used to live near Easley. Ham callsign KA3AYK? He moved to Anderson County sometime back and must have changed his email address. I heard him on 2 meters the other night, but didn't get a chance to call him.

The comms might have been skip, since I didn't get a chance to hear much of it.

Bob

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
That's it, I knew it was a "3" call. He stopped by my workplace several years ago before the Charlotte hamfest.

LarrySC

There are a few older cars still with low band on 42.34 The new Pickens Pal800 tower is now on the air and 42.34 is used even less. Pickens and Oconee are being dispatched by "Anderson" and that talk group is busy all the time. Use of 42.34 is not uncommon. I figure low band will be gone after the first of next year. If they put a tower on Sasafrass Mtn that should solve the 800 shadows in the Mtn areas.

CLB

Doesn't NCHP also use Low Band? I think I programmed some in my dad's scanner last time he was here.

mstarn

How much low band does the NCHP use? I plan on making a "run" across NC Thursday and return Friday this week. I'm driving on I85 to I40 then to Camp Lejeune. Any good freqs to monitor? My scanner is a PRO 96.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
mstarn said:
How much low band does the NCHP use? I plan on making a "run" across NC Thursday and return Friday this week. I'm driving on I85 to I40 then to Camp Lejeune. Any good freqs to monitor? My scanner is a PRO 96.

EWWW Camp Lejeune. I'm sorry.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
In all seriousness, I used to monitor the NCHP from Camp Lejeune, but you had to monitor the patrol cars on 454.000 (or something like that) and the HP dispatch on a low band freq. (can't remember which). The dispatch was out of Elizabeth Town (E-Town) in Bladen county.

Not sure if it's still in service, but worth a try. Not sure about your route, but it used to be much faster to drive up I-95 to 17. I guess it depends on where you are.

I was stationed in CLNC about 12 years ago and it sucked. It's a little better now as they've cleaned it up a bit. We used to call it the Arm-Pit of America...lol

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
The WNC area is still ALL low band, most of the state is still low band, the VIPER is mostly around the Char/Meck and eastern NC area... But it will be 2 more years before the entire state is online.

kg4ekc

I am told the main repeater for low band (SCHP) here was on the loading dock at state surplus last year. It was something like 6 channel low band base system. I just figured it was for the Columbia area. I heard that from a guy who ones a tower climbing co. my son works for here in the the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.