Highway Patrol Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Afternoon all,

I apologize if I'm just misinterpreting the database, but there's nothing listed under State Highway Patrol. Does North Dakota Highway Patrol operate on the "ND State Radio System" VHF frequencies? Would the detachments/troops that patrol I-94 across the state be on any of those specifically?

Thanks everybody!

peq387ab

Premium Subscriber
Correct they are still dispatched by the State Radio System. The whole state uses State 2 Tower for dispatch talking to the units and State 2 Mobile for their HP units talking into dispatch. Its a duplex/simplex system.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Correct they are still dispatched by the State Radio System. The whole state uses State 2 Tower for dispatch talking to the units and State 2 Mobile for their HP units talking into dispatch. Its a duplex/simplex system.

Thanks! I'll adjust the programming accordingly. Appreciate it.

jason_58201

The state radio system is designed to supplement small populated rural counties mostly in the western part of the state. For much of the state they not only dispatch State Patrol, Game and Fish, but also County Sheriff's departments part of or all of the day as well as fire and ems units all from the State Radio center in Bismarck. Unless something has changed All State Patrol and County Sheriff units state wide carry the same channel setup. 1 is SR1 primarily for County Sheriff's. SR2 is for State Patrol units. SR3 is mutual aid. SR 4 is HP Car 2 Car. SR 5 is reserved for county use for a particular county (Grand Forks County has their channel on Ch5) and SR 6 is County Sheriff car 2 car. any additional LE or Fire channels would be above and beyond Ch 6. At least that is how it used to be back when I monitored NE ND. I know that Pembina and Walsh Counties use SR1 for their County Sheriff dispatch. I also know that occasionally a highway patrolman may request that a repeater be activated on a tower of his choosing so that he can communicate to multiple unit's directly. I have heard though that the state of ND is moving to a vhf trunked system similar to South Dakota's system to give them more interoperability statewide without having to add more towers like MN did when they went from VFH to 800 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.