Highway Patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

muhockey86

Anyone else have problems receiving both sides of the conversation...I can hear headquarters no problem...(7 miles away at 300 watts) do I need to be picking up those relay repeaters (456.xxxx). I'm in northern Jefferson County and don't pick up those 20 watt repeaters very well. Is there another way to pick up the car side of the transmission?

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Well since they use VHF-Lo wouldn't you need to use like a large whip type antenna. The one you are using now is like for VHF-Hi.

BaLa

You will usually almost always hear only one side of the conversation.

Generally you will not hear cars more than 15 miles away prolly a lot shorter distance too.

Your best bet is to move close to one of those low power repeaters :D.
I live in Conway and I can hear the Phillipsburg repeater pretty good here (Troop I)

jayres

Premium Subscriber
Conway huh, I better watch what I say on the radio!

Glad I'm not the only one from Laclede County on here!

dstew67

Premium Subscriber
The UHF repeaters are very low power, and some have a directional antenna, which means you'll likely have difficulty picking up signals from those transmitters. For example, that Philipsburg repeater is only 20 watts (211 Max ERP). I pick them up well with an Austin Spectra mobile antenna and my BCD396 scanner. My Yaesu 7100 with a tuned dual-band Maxrad antenna does even better.

You might also consider a dedicated low band antenna. I have a Maxrad tuned to 42 MHz, and have the best luck with that. I can "hear" mobile units 20-25 miles away, depending on terrain. With my Spectra, which has the top element tuned to 42 MHz, I can "hear" mobile units about 12-15 miles out.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Try to get the antenna up as high as safely possible, height can help as well

gbeck41

Muhockey86, I have the same problem. I live in NE Arkansas. Im about 40-45 miles from Poplar Bluff, MO which is the HQ for Troop E. I have no problem picking 42.92-42.94 which is their North and South end dispatch. Vary rarely do I get the other side. Im using a BCD396T hook to a ScanAtenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.