Highway Thru Hell freqs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TammieM3ENF

Just discovered the TV series HTH on TV here across the Pond in England. Wondering if anyone in the area has feeds for any of the freqs used in the show? Or if they're feeds not allowed for rebroadcast?

73 Tammie M3ENF

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
It's an older thread, but you aren't the first person to ask. The last round of speculation led to either the LADD road channels (think a vhf version of CB radio) or that he was using one of his brothers radio frequencies (Aggressive Towing). I'm not in Canada so I'm not 100% sure but I think LADD frequencies are simplex only, therefore unless someone was very close by they aren't going to hear you. If that's the case it would make it fairly difficult to stream unless someone had a pretty tall antenna next to the highway. Then you would have all the truckers using those channels as well on it. Here's that older thread jamie davis towing

TammieM3ENF

Thanks @cmjonesinc. I believe they do use LADD channels, Quiring towing use CB and VHF I saw that on their Twitter after someone asked. I know they also use whatever is on the km markers on certain roads, that was in an episode. There's a FB group with a few of the guys from the show in, one was going to post a pic of the setup but hasn't yet.

I think most of what's in the show is CB because you hear all the truckers using it.

HF Underground - LADD frequencies

NedSem

TammieM3ENF - What you are hearing is more likely them using the LADD channels, not CB. Sounds the same but most truckers have morphed over to VHF/LADD.

BC_Scan

It's all LADD-1 (154.100 MHz) Simplex. No real easy way to stream without incurring cost. I listen to that channel at home, but all I hear is road report request for BC Highway 1. Fundamentally, the beginning of the Trans Canada Highway.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Thanks @cmjonesinc. I believe they do use LADD channels, Quiring towing use CB and VHF I saw that on their Twitter after someone asked. I know they also use whatever is on the km markers on certain roads, that was in an episode. There's a FB group with a few of the guys from the show in, one was going to post a pic of the setup but hasn't yet.

I think most of what's in the show is CB because you hear all the truckers using it.

HF Underground - LADD frequencies

They are using the LADD channels. CB is virtually useless in BC because its limited to 4w, AM. There are many other VHF LMR channels like Plateau Logging 153.6350MHz, amongst others, mostly 'company channels' that are used illegally by truckers in BC.

On the Forest Service Roads(FSR) and other logging roads, there are 40 VHF LMR channels used. These are labeled RR-01 to RR-35, and LD-01 to LD-05, and are specifically set aside for resource road use. These are listed in the BC database. British Columbia - Resource Road and Highway Channels Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

The RR/LD channels are not for chit chat, and are specifically used to call KM on radio controlled roads.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Just discovered the TV series HTH on TV here across the Pond in England. Wondering if anyone in the area has feeds for any of the freqs used in the show? Or if they're feeds not allowed for rebroadcast?

73 Tammie M3ENF

This show covers hundreds of Km of highway 1, 3, 5 and 97 in the coastal/interior mountains in BC. All communications are simplex with 25w mobiles. There is no cost effective way to cover all the territory that the show takes part in. Just the Coq(Hwy 5)/Hwy1 is 320+km(200mi) and has 2 mountain passes on it. This doesn't even include the Fraser Canyon portion of Hwy 1, Hope/Princeton(Hwy 3) or the Okanagan Connector(Hwy 97c) or Hwy 7. This is easily a couple thousand Km of highway, and doesn't include tens of thousands of km of resource roads they could be called out on. I also haven't included the Golden area, in eastern BC, where Jamie Davis has expanded his operation to, which is 560km east of his Hope, BC base of operations.

Keep in mind that BC can contain with in it, 4.5 Great Britain's. It takes almost 8.5hrs to drive 809km from west Vancouver to the BC/Alberta border.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Same restrictions here in the US. But do you think they follow the 'limitations" ?

No idea. Majority of domestic drivers in BC, Alberta, Yukon and NWT use VHF. Regardless, VHF-Hi is used far more than CB in western Canada.

Last edited:

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider

The majority of what you hear in the show is faked. Due to the nature of the comms as described above, very little of what you hear would ever be that clear and strong. And... forgive me for putting it this way... a huge amount of it would not be as clear and enunciated, let's put it that way.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
The majority of what you hear in the show is faked. Due to the nature of the comms as described above, very little of what you hear would ever be that clear and strong. And... forgive me for putting it this way... a huge amount of it would not be as clear and enunciated, let's put it that way.

A lot of the comms played on the show are quite scratchy and have significant multipath(picket fencing). Sounds like its received on either a scanner or an Icom transceiver.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Agree. Most is canned and added over so often isn't true representation of what is actually occurring at the time. There is so much editing. Plus so much swearing that all one would hear would be the "beep" "beep".

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
While watching the HTHell show they did a closeup of the radio and they were on one of the LADD channels.
I didn't take too much notice (Exact Channel or Company) but hope this helps you narrow things down.

It's an older thread, but you aren't the first person to ask. The last round of speculation led to either the LADD road channels (think a vhf version of CB radio) or that he was using one of his brothers radio frequencies (Aggressive Towing). I'm not in Canada so I'm not 100% sure but I think LADD frequencies are simplex only, therefore unless someone was very close by they aren't going to hear you. If that's the case it would make it fairly difficult to stream unless someone had a pretty tall antenna next to the highway. Then you would have all the truckers using those channels as well on it. Here's that older thread jamie davis towing

EG

RX163.0050FRASER VALLEY BC AND COQUIHALLA HWYAggressive Auto Towing Ltd0001237254
TX167.6550FRASER VALLEY BC AND COQUIHALLA HWYAggressive Auto Towing Ltd0001237251

Status
Not open for further replies.