Higlands,NJ POLICE DISPATCH

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka2mek

Can someone here tells us exactly what is happening in HIGHLANDS,NJ...(not Atlantic Highlands-we know what is going on there) in regards to the Highlands police radio dispatch system?We don't seem to monitor very much radio traffic on 155.670 pl-210.7 anylonger?Are they{{did they?}} redo thier police radio system?and when did this take place?What frequency are they ((will they be)) on?We still monitor fire traffic on 154.145 pl-151.4 so it seems thats has remained the same for them for now.
Thanks
Rob-KA2MEK

ka2mek

Tech 792 had posted a few days ago that they moved to 502.8125 no pl/dpl but seems he pulled his post????All I get is a dead carrier constantly on that freq.Checked it with three scanners and its a DFQ carrier hanging on that freq of 502.8125.OK any ideas here on whats going on???
thanks
Rob-KA2MEK

ericcarlson

Database Admin
ka2mek said:
Confirmed Highlands police transmissions on 502.8125mhz FM NON-Trunked, conventional UHF repeater but has and anoying pulsing carrier that goes on and off between voice transmissions.Like some one keying a mic every solid 15 seconds.

The regular key-up sound every ~10 seconds is a good indication that the frequency is part of an LTR trunked radio system. If you have an LTR-capable trunktracking scanner, plug in the frequency (in LTR trunked mode) and sit on the frequency to see if you get a talkgroup to display when there is voice traffic.

-Eric

DJ88

Yup. They use an LTR Trunked System. So that's definitely what you're hearing, the burst from the LTR system. For anyone not familiar with Atlantic Coast Communications, they are based in Holmdel and they lease frequencies to anyone who wants to lease them. How it works, I don't know. I had the system in my scanner and heard Metro something Ambulance Service, where they're based, I have no idea, a couple of landscaping companies (I think) and a school bus company. I also read that the Asbury Park Press is on their system. (Newspaper Delivery Trucks, Couriers, and Photographers). I have

By the way, I read that Radio Shack's Pro96 does not have the capability to monitor an LTR Trunked System, however Uniden's BC785D, BC250D, 796D & 296D can monitor these systems. Makes one wonder why Radio Shack didn't include it.

On my 785D I have two LTR systems in, and I never hear the burst but get all the traffic, and the talk group IDs show up. So what's the big deal withh the bursts ?

Happy scanning !

ka2mek

I did confirm that I did hear highlands police while sitting in my car on bay ave in highlands,A police car called in to hdqs on that frequencyof 502.8125 that tech 792 posted days ago,the officer gave his gas mileage and gallons he used to fill up to the dispatcher,that was a few days ago,and during that short monitoring session I noted that it DID sound like it was a conventional UHF non trunk system,BUT,it confounds me to understand why a town that small would need an LTR system leased or bought!since the system they used on 155.670 pl-210.7 worked just fine why this drastic even radical switch.Since that time the freq has aquired a DFQ dead carrier on it and I get zilch on that freq over here near EARL Navy Base in middletown with an antenna 50 feet in the air.Anyone have any REAL data or info on whats going on in HIGHLANDS in regards to the police radio system?

Thanks
Rob

DJ88

I heard that the guy who sold them the system also sells used cars on the side and that he's now trying to negotiate a deal to sell them police cars. You know, only the ones little old ladies only drove to church on Sunday. :D

ka2mek

Well Ken
You may be right about that!
Maybe they will pick up some radio techs from the MUSTER ZONE to work on it too.
:idea:
Rob-KA2MEK

Tech792

I also confirm a dead carrier on 502.8125 but I don't think it has anything to do with Highlands. Its solid down in Mercer county. As I got closer towards Middletown, the signal strength diminished quite a bit. And its been there for at least the past 2 weeks.

ka2mek

Thanks
The observation is noted but still does not explain the why and when this all took place.Also who was it that advised the borough to take this course of action for thier police dispatch system!?We seem to find it odd for a town of this size to opt for a change such as this!Was not thier simple vhf system enough?Never heard them complain about it!Albeit they were on a county freq with tinton falls , however , they had thier OWN pl and never seemed to be interfered with.very strange!
-Rob

Tech792

After talking to officers that work there, they said the 155.67 freq was useless over the hill past Stewart's Root beer. And thats with the car radios. Also, down along the condos on Portland Rd. I think another reason was for privacy. I hear the chief was tired of the whole town being able to monitor them. Guess he thought this system would fool every one. I knew we would find this freq in time.
But the officers are saying that there are now very few dead spots in and around town as compared to before.

ka2mek

Thank You 792
At least that is SOME INSIGHT as to what is going down in that town.Funny about the whole town listening in and having that fact concern the cops though,you would think they would appreciate the extra sets of eyes and ears watching and listening to matrix of what is happening in that tiny sea shore community.So I guess we'll see what further develops in regards to that TEMPORARY status of that frequency they are using now,gonna become permanent???
73!
Rob-KA2MEK

DJ88

I second that thank you ka2mek. At least we know what's going on with that whole switchover. As far as cops now wanting us folks listening in and knowing what they're doing, unless they encrypt their transmissions we will be listening.

Status
Not open for further replies.