Hillsborough County Questions

jhawkinsvalrico

Premium Subscriber
I recently got back into scanning and purchased an SDS100. I would like to setup a Storm favorite list that would include all frequencies I should monitor when we have a severe tropical storm or hurricane. Other than EMS, TECO, frequencies I should add to the list? I have been away from scanning for awhile and I need to better my skills navigating Sentinel and the RadioReference database. I will say that compared to those blue and white frequency reference books I used to buy, this is so much nicer. I am also trying out ProScan but only just installed it, so really at the very beginning of that learning curve. Thanks.

jhawkinsvalrico

Premium Subscriber
Thank you CanesFan95. Trunking systems were just being introduced when I dropped out of monitoring. If I recall correctly, back then the there was a rumor that the county was about to switch over to an Ericson trunked system. I have been reading everything that I can about the SDS100 and SDS200 systems and have heard about ProScan. I was just over on the ProScan website and downloaded a copy that I will try out. Based on what I have read in the forums, I will likely be buying a license for it. Thanks again.

RYGDWW

Depending on reception in your area, the Pinellas trunked systems would also be of interest. I can pick them up with my SDS100 near the fairgrounds, so you may be able to as well. State systems like FHP are not monitorable.

Also look for USCG Air Station in Clearwater and the NOAA Hurricane Hunter planes based in Lakeland.

zlandmedia

not that florida man
I swapped out the stock antenna with the Remtronics, which is designed for the 700-900 MHz range.
I have the Remtronix antenna as well so I'll have to give it a try. I haven't been able to hear Pinellas from Forest Hills which should be closer than the fairgrounds.

jhawkinsvalrico

Premium Subscriber
I picked up a Remtronics 842S and I think that it is better than the stock Uniden antenna. I occassionally pickup Polk County and Lakeland from here from inside my house and will try Pinellas. I wish that I could pickup airband better and might start searching for band specific antennas for airband monitoring with Sun & Fun coming in a few weeks.