Hillsborough County system

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Guys & Ladies,

Question is the new Digital system for Tampa going to replace the Hillsborough county Sheriff system as well? Also what is the new UNID Project 25: System 4A8 under Hillsborough County?

- Jamie

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I found both of the systems just added to the DB, with some range searching and then control channel analysis.

Both systems were fairly strong near Steinbrenner Park. The Hillsborough County one matched up with FCC licensed freqs for the county. I didn't detect any activity, but I will be near the park again tomorrow and will try to run the HP1 analyzer for a bit.

The 4A8 UHF system I also discovered near the park. There are no FCC licenses for that frequency or range, but there is past history of various military systems in that chunk of bandwidth, so that's what I'm suspecting.

I can pick them both up intermittently with 1 or 2 bars using a small antenna driving around between Dunedin and Tarpon Springs, but not at all at my hotel in Tarpon. We'll see what comes from the drive out to the Yankees' lair again tomorrow.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Thanks Jay for your reply...I'm hearing a little bit but not much I'll keep the scanner on while it scans the new Tampa P25 system and the 4A8 UHF system as well to see what company or service uses this.

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
The freq - 408.5625 - that is listed under the "unidentified" P25 system in the database is one of the MacDill TRS freqs. It's not in the db under the MacDill system, but is (or was) one of that system's voice channels. Don't know if something new is going on with it now or not.

As I type this, MacDill's cc is 406.9625. I am hearing noise on 408.5625, but at my location, it does not sound like a control channel - more like interference of some sort.

Last edited:

Jay911

Feed Provider
The freq - 408.5625 - that is listed under the "unidentified" P25 system in the database is one of the MacDill TRS freqs. It's not in the db under the MacDill system, but is (or was) one of that system's voice channels. Don't know if something new is going on with it now or not.

As I type this, MacDill's cc is 406.9625. I am hearing noise on 408.5625, but at my location, it does not sound like a control channel - more like interference of some sort.

It is indeed a P25 control channel, not interference. Other channels so far identified on the system, which appears idle right now, are 407.5625 and 408.3625, as alternate CCs.

You can trust every iota of information I post. I'm not just throwing random information about - I vet everything I discover. And if these are MacDill frequencies, I would wager that this new system is a P25 system for MacDill.

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
You can trust every iota of information I post. I'm not just throwing random information about - I vet everything I discover.

Which is why I said, "at my location." Just pointing out that the normal MacDill cc is currently active and loud and clear into my location, while the "other" freq is not exhibiting typical MacDill cc characteristics into my location, at least. Makes me wonder if this activity is associated with MacDill or not.

Not doubting the integrity of your info. Glad you vet your info. Wish more people would do so.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
So Macdill getting a new P25 system? Also is the new Tampa P25 system going to be only for the Tampa Police or Hillsborough Sheriff going to be on the system as well?

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
So Macdill getting a new P25 system? Also is the new Tampa P25 system going to be only for the Tampa Police or Hillsborough Sheriff going to be on the system as well?

The county radio system has always been maintained and operated by the sheriff's office, so I'd imagine the SO will be set up first, then TPD will come on board when they come up with the funds for new radios. The new P25 system is the county's, not Tampa's.

Don't know about MacDill. Seems like if they were to get a new system, it'd be in the 380-390MHz range.

Last edited:

Jay911

Feed Provider
Don't know about MacDill. Seems like if they were to get a new system, it'd be in the 380-390MHz range.

In my recent travels, getting hits on 14C in Seattle (the monster countrywide DoD system), there were some frequencies as high as the 406-408 range.

Also, the bands advertised by the 4A8 system's band plans include:

Iden 0 - base 851.00625, step 0.00625, FDMA.
Iden 1 - base 762.00625, step 0.00625, FDMA.
Iden 2 - base 851.01250, step 0.01250, TDMA.
Iden 4 - base 380.00000, step 0.00625, FDMA.
Iden 5 - base 406.00000, step 0.00625, FDMA.

No, there is no Iden 3 broadcast, for some reason, at least not in my observations (and I monitored/analyzed for 11 minutes straight, so it's not like I missed it - unless it was missed coincidentally every time the CC data repeated).

Also note that it is TDMA capable in the 800 band. None of this means that it has any frequencies in the band - it could be for further system expansion, or could be the default band plans put on a system when it is being built.

In the control channel stream, there are opcodes with manfuacturer type 90, which indicates Motorola - so it's likely that this is a Motorola system (and thus, if any TDMA is present, it will likely be X2-TDMA).

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
As of few minutes ago, I'm hearing the radio techs testing out the new P25 system it's some what active.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
In the control channel stream, there are opcodes with manfuacturer type 90, which indicates Motorola - so it's likely that this is a Motorola system (and thus, if any TDMA is present, it will likely be X2-TDMA).

Motorola is shipping real Phase 2 systems now so it would surprise me if it was X2.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Does anyone know who's going to be operating on the new P25 system and the 4A8 UHF system? I'm hearing Macdill is taking the UHF system.

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
1) The control channel changes almost every day.

2) There is no east or west site for the new P25 system. Just one site so far, and hopefully it'll stay that way.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
1) The control channel changes almost every day.

2) There is no east or west site for the new P25 system. Just one site so far, and hopefully it'll stay that way.

I agree with your statement with statement 1 it changes everyday on the east system. Hopefully it will stay all one system and not east/west system all seperated.

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
Tryton was referring to the cc changing on the new P25 system. It changes every day, just as both east and west sites of the current EDACS system do.

Jay911

Feed Provider
I was able to do some brief capturing using PRO96COM at the airport before departing today, on both 32D (the Hillsborough system) and 4A8 (the system suspected to be MacDill). I'll post it later on when I get somewhere I will be stopped for a length of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.