Historical Radio Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanmanmi

Premium Subscriber
I can't find a forum of historical things so maybe here. There's some local history in the Northern Minnesota Boundry Waters Canoe Area. There was a lady that helped run a camp on an island up there. She stayed all year. When the government landsharks declared they were going to close it off to humans they made everyone sell their land, or live there until you die, and no one could inherit it. It is now only accessible by canoe permit. Dorothy Motler wanted to die there so she stayed. She supported herself by making root beer on the island for the canoers. My uncle used to cut ice for her in the winter on snowmobile. During the slow time the park service would fly by on Monday and she would answer the radio. Of course she didn't answer one day so they landed and found her passed away. The cabin was dismantled by volunteers and reconstructed in Ely.
Here is the radio she used.

They mention it here at 21:30

Last edited:

RFI-EMI-GUY

I have one of those same radios. A VHF version used by the Secret Service at the White House. Mine has a phone handset and DES encryption. I swapped out the MX300S innards and made mine operate on UHF GMRS.

The battery box on hers appears to be the one that hold 22 Alkaline D Cells in Series - Parallel making 16.5V . She probably got many months of Monday check ins on those batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.